Master Password Rejected

Options
Mitchla
Mitchla
Community Member

On my Mac 1PW is rejecting my Master PW in prefs (I am trying to disable TouchID). I'm typing it right from the Emergency Kit print out. What can I do? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mitchla!

Are you able to login to your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com, using that Master Password?

• Mitchla
    Mitchla
    Community Member
    Options

Yes.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mitchla:

Thank you for the confirmation. Do you by chance have a Primary vault inside the 1Password app? If you do, you need to enter that Master Password instead.

• Mitchla
    Mitchla
    Community Member
    Options

• Mitchla
    Mitchla
    Community Member
    Options

• Mitchla
    Mitchla
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mitchla: Yep. The 1Password app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there. So unless you remove the Primary vault you'll need to enter whatever Master Password you set for that. Do you have all the data you need in the Personal vault?

• Mitchla
    Mitchla
    Community Member
    Options

Frankly, I don't really understand the difference. I presume the personal vault is in the cloud, and the primary vault is the one I used to use residing on the Mac. True? Yes I have everything I need – should I delete the primary vault? Is there a way of backing it up for safety? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mitchla:

I presume the personal vault is in the cloud, and the primary vault is the one I used to use residing on the Mac. True? Yes I have everything I need – should I delete the primary vault? Is there a way of backing it up for safety? Thanks.

That's correct. If everything you need is inside your Personal vault, you can certainly remove the Primary vault. Removing it from 1Password does not remove it from your iCloud account, so that could act as your backup should you ever need it again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mitchla: 1Password saves backup archives for local vaults, so you'll have those even if you remove the Primary vault by disabling the local vault option in Preferences > Advanced. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.