To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

why do i have to subscribe when i paid cash for my 1password?

Options
Bowtr0
Bowtr0
Community Member

I paid cash for an initial package then paid again to include my wife and iPhones. I don't see why I should pay the same amount as one that had never paid a dime upfront.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I don't want to join I paid for my family system.

Comments

• Bowtr0
    Bowtr0
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7
    Version 7.4 (70400012)
    Mac App Store
    OS 10.14.6

Why should I have to join when I paid a large amount upfront? And if you force me to join, why should I pay effectively $60/year which is the same amount that one who never gave you cold hard cash when you were almost in infancy?

Referrer: forum-search:I don't want to join I paid for my family system.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Bowtr0

Thanks for being a long time user of 1Password. Please feel free to reach out to our team at support@1password.com to see what promotions we may have available for those looking to upgrade. :) With your email please include any purchase receipts for 1Password that you have.

Ben

• Bowtr0
    Bowtr0
    Community Member
    Options

So, you don't keep records? This sounds like Walmart. It was well into the hundreds.

Gee! Maybe there's a promotion and I'll get what I feel I'm entitled to!

I hardly have receipts going back that far. My gripe - and its a serious one - is that I paid good money for the initial single user and then upgraded to, I guess it was family, but it was for my wife's (actually it's my other mac) and my iPhone. So 1Password got some valuable CASH at the time. Now, you're forcing me to buy a subscription AT FULL PRICE. I would pay as much as a new user that never paid a dime upfront. Is that fair? $60 a year is a lot for a retiree. When I bought in, you made no mention in writing or otherwise that there was a time limit on maintaining compatibility.

Here's how I see it:

1Password didn't figure it out until they realized that new sales weren't going to be enough since sales would naturally slow
     as years went by, so you decided the best option was the subscription thing. Fine, but you're changing the rules. 

You have to upgrade for your subscribers anyway, right? So it costs you virtually nothing to maintain your "legacy users" 
     that provided you with UP FRONT cash.

I WILL NOT subscribe for anything like $60 a year. That is clearly unfair.

As big a P.I.T.A. as it will be I will go elsewhere - probably Last Pass based on recent reviews. This is not a threat. I realize your not going to give up a lucrative cash stream in order to satisfy one bellyacher. I read some of the comments by other cash buyers and your response that "nothing is forever" or words to that effect. You should have made that clear when you hit us up for some real cash. Maybe we would have made a different decision.

My other complaint is the draconian way we have to go to replace one computer with another. I have a new (used) MacBook Air almost identical to the one that crapped out on me. Uh Oh. Now I can't get may passwords downloaded.

If it is what it is, say so. I'm not going to beg.

• kevingaus
    kevingaus
    Community Member
    Options

I AGREE WHY IF WE PURCHASE THE APP OUTRIGHT DO WE NOW HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO KEEP ACCESS?

• Ben
    Options

@kevingaus

I AGREE WHY IF WE PURCHASE THE APP OUTRIGHT DO WE NOW HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO KEEP ACCESS?

You don't. You're welcome to keep using what you purchased for as long as it serves your needs. But that purchase doesn't come with free updates indefinitely. As you update other software on your system and don't update 1Password it will be less and less practical (or even possible) to continue using it.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2019
    Options

@Bowtr0

Gee! Maybe there's a promotion and I'll get what I feel I'm entitled to!

I'm not sure what it is that you feel you're entitled to, but we'd be happy to help. If you don't have the receipts that isn't a big deal. Including them makes things a little easier, but we're still happy to discuss without them.

I WILL NOT subscribe for anything like $60 a year. That is clearly unfair.

I feel 1Password Families provides myself and my family far more than $60 of value each year, but it is certainly your prerogative to disagree and move forward as you see fit accordingly.

You should have made that clear when you hit us up for some real cash. Maybe we would have made a different decision.

We've always advertised licenses on a per-person, per-version, per-platform basis. Upgrades were never part of the deal. For a few versions we were in a position to be extra generous, and did release major upgrades to license purchasers at no additional cost. For example, someone who had purchased 1Password 4 for Mac got upgraded to v5 and v6 for free. We didn't have to do that, but we wanted to provide as much value as we reasonably could do so. And those folks got an amazing deal. But this did cause confusion, as people started to assume that because we ended up giving away a few upgrades for free that all of them would be. That isn't sustainable.

We're happy to work with you if you email in. :)

Ben

• Bowtr0
    Bowtr0
    Community Member
    Options

Good Bye

• Ben
    Options

Best of luck. If you change your mind and would like to see what we have to offer please feel free to email in. :+1:

Ben

• Bowtr0
    Bowtr0
    Community Member
    Options

My contention is that, if I bought my initial 1password, why should I pay $60, i.e., the same as one that never paid a dime upfront. Also, it's silly of you to praise your own product and it's pricing. Do you know how many people smirked when they read that? I asked a fair question and you, in effect, blew me off.

Referrer: forum-search:1password overcharge

• Ben
    Options

@Bowtr0

I'm not sure what else I could add to what I've already said. I'd encourage you to reach out to us at support@1password.com if you'd like to discuss. We'd be happy to work with you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.