Desktop App Required

I have 1password 7. Version 7.3.712. Chrome version: 78.0.3904.97. Windows 10. Chrome extension version: 4.7.5.90. It had been working flawlessly for months. Then today extension states "desktop app required." I already have the desktop running. I tried restarting the computer, I uninstalled the app and extension and reinstalled. Still have the same problem. Any suggestion?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.75.90
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: local

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GhostRyder,

Thank you for getting in touch! Do you remember uninstalling 1Password 4 for Windows recently?

To fix the connection between 1Password extension and 1Password 7, please try to do the following:

1) Close all browsers and quit 1Password 7 for Windows completely.

2) Open Run dialog (Win key + R), enter the following string there: 1Password.exe --setup

3) Then press Enter. 1Password 7 for Windows should be launched after that.

4) Launch Chrome and check if the issue remains.

Thank you in advance!

++
    Greg

• GhostRyder
    GhostRyder
    Community Member

I tried the suggestion, but the problem remained. I have 3 computers and all three have the same problem. They were working flawlessly a few days ago.

I had 1password 4, but updated in Feb 2019.

• Any chance they have Chrome updates pending, @GhostRyder? Chrome can sometimes get an update "stuck" and that will disable the 1Password extension until the update is completed. Check chrome://settings/help on one of the PCs. If there's an update, it will download and prompt you to restart Chrome. Do so when it asks you to and see if the extension reactivates. Let me know if that helps (and feel free to try on other PCs if it does) or if you don't have any updates available. :+1:

• GhostRyder
    GhostRyder
    Community Member

Chrome is up to date. I even uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it, but the problem persists.

• @GhostRyder

The full name of the extension is "1Password extension (desktop app required)." Desktop app required is part of the name. If that's what you're seeing, it doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. Mine says the same thing. Totally normal and expected. If the extension is otherwise not working we can certainly help you troubleshoot that, but to be clear: the fact that it says "desktop app required" doesn't mean anything.

Ben

• GhostRyder
    GhostRyder
    Community Member

Yes, if I wasn't clear before, the extension in chrome does not work. When I click on the extension, it gives me a dropdown menu and takes me to the 1password website when I click on the first choice "1password extension (desktop app required).

The second choice is "1password" Nothing happens when I click on it.

When the program was working before, it would fill in my password.

I can open the desktop app just fine, but it will not fill in the password any longer.

• GhostRyder
    GhostRyder
    Community Member

Also on one of the computer, when I click on the extension, it says it can't find the helper.

• GhostRyder
    GhostRyder
    Community Member

I figured it out. Malwarebytes was interfering with 1password. Once I shut that off, everything works. Is there a workaround that would allow 1password to work with Malwarebytes?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@GhostRyder: Malwarebytes interfered with 1Password in the past. Please try to whitelist 1Password directory at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password and let us know if the issue remains after that.

Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• GhostRyder
    GhostRyder
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Tried that, but still doesn't work if Malwarebyte is active.

• Whitelisting means that your anti-virus, whatever it might, should be leaving anything running from the indicated folder alone, @GhostRyder, so if that's not working you may want to ask Malwarebytes for some guidance. Sometimes, AVs have a few different "modules" and different whitelists for each. Others don't allow whitelisting an entire folder and will require you to whitelist each file individually. Still others might have settings that limit certain features of Windows across the board that could impact 1Password. Whitelisting is a common action in your AV, though. It's what allows the AV to be as aggressive as it is without permanently making your PC less usable. If you ask Malwarebytes support how to properly whitelist 1Password, they should have an easy answer ready for you as they've probably dealt with similar issues a thousand times. :+1:

• GhostRyder
    GhostRyder
    Community Member

I’m assuming whitelisting is the exclusion list. If so then malwarebytes allow the exclusion of entire folders or just individual files. Otherwise I’m at a lost.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, that should work. But if you're still having trouble or are not sure about exactly how to configure their software, I'm sure they'd be able to help with that. :)

This discussion has been closed.