Create New Login using 1Password extension for Chrome on MacOS doesn't work

Options
steve_rainville
steve_rainville
Community Member

I'm on a website that isn't registered in 1Password. Here are the steps I go through:

1. right-click in the password field to get the 1Password option
  2. 1Password windows displays an empty search result, as expected
  3. Click on gear to use the New Login option, nothing happens
  4. Using Cmd+S doesn't work either

Chrome version 78.0.3904.97

The problem happens on any site I've tested that isn't in my 1Password vaults.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS Catalina 10.15.1
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019
    Options

@steve_rainville - do you have data (a password, etc) entered into the Login page before you do this? Based on your steps, you'd want to do that first. Although you can do things this way (this is essentially how you manually save a Login item in 1Password (with the additional wrinkle of right-clicking and choosing 1Password)), but this is the recommended method of saving passwords. Does that work for you, or can you not save new Login items that way either? Have you tried other browsers such as Safari or Firefox?

• steve_rainville
    steve_rainville
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, it does work when following the steps in the link you provided. I had issues with generating a password 1st, then converting to a login and had taken the habit of using the New Login option. That being said, I still find it strange that the New Login option is available but doesn't work because the password field is blank.

As an improvement, can't we have so that creating a new login generates a password and asks for the username if the field is blank? Probably +95% of websites I visit that need credentials not found in 1Password are new logins, not just a new password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback @steve_rainville! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.