Master password no longer works on iphone.

Options
reebs26
reebs26
Community Member
edited November 2019 in iOS

I've used 1password for years. When I went to login to a site on my phone today, 1password required me to manually enter the password in lieu of the usual fingertouch ID. When I entered it, it would not work. I tried over and over and over. I then tried it on my Macbook and 1password.com, and the master password worked on both. Next, I deleted the app from the iphone and reinstalled it. It asked me for my master passwords for two different accounts that I have. Neither passwords for those would work, but I am still able to login on my Macbook and 1password.com.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:master password won't work on iphone

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @reebs26

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble.

It asked me for my master passwords for two different accounts that I have

My suspicion is that the saved information for those accounts may be stale. Instead of selecting one of those to add, select the option to add a different account. Then use the QR code from a fresh Emergency Kit from 1Password.com to enter the details:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I'd recommend printing a copy of the Emergency Kit as well. I hope that helps. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• reebs26
    reebs26
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Before I do anything else, when I login through 1password.com, it says that the last time 1password was used on my iphone was Tuesday in Houston. I have not been in Houston. Is this cause for concern? Should I deauthorize the device or just proceed as you suggested before?

• Ben
    Options

@reebs26

Before I do anything else, when I login through 1password.com, it says that the last time 1password was used on my iphone was Tuesday in Houston. I have not been in Houston. Is this cause for concern? Should I deauthorize the device or just proceed as you suggested before?

If you're concerned about what you're seeing there I'd recommend reaching out to our security team to discuss further. To add some context though, we're not tracking the GPS location of your phone or anything that specific, so the location will be approximate (or in some cases wildly inaccurate). It is based on the address your device's IP address is registered to. So for example, for myself, this tends to be listed as a town that is about 30 - 45 minutes from where I live, as that is where my ISP has their block of IP addresses registered to.

Also, while I've got you here . . . I am in two different families of vaults, once of which I'm the organizer for. When I login to 1password.com, it connects me to the vault where I'm the primary organizer, but not the other one. Is there a way to be logged into both on the website?

You could open a second browser tab (or a different browser), and have the other account in another tab, but the web app doesn't allow for access to data from multiple accounts simultaneously within the same view like our native apps do. You could also consider using our 1Password X browser extension, if you don't want to install the native apps, but want to be able to view data from multiple accounts together.

Ben

• reebs26
    reebs26
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    I went ahead and tried your suggestion to "Add a different account." I was able to successfully add one of the family accounts, but not the other. The password simply will not work. I can access both accounts online and also on my computer, so I know I've got the right password. I've tried both passwords about 20 times. I suppose it's possible I'm still just mistyping it, but that seems unlikely.

• emanuele139
    emanuele139
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same problem since thursday

• Ben
    Options

Please note that the Secret Key is unique for each person. I would suggest double checking that you're entering the Secret Key / scanning the QR code for that person.

Ben

• reebs26
    reebs26
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Yes, I was very careful to keep them separate and try both. I tried them multiple times and redownloaded to be sure I had the right one.

• Ben
    Options

@reebs26

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

• Re-create the issue (attempt to sign in) and note the time at which you get the error
    • Take a screenshot showing the error message: ▷ How to take a screenshot
    • Generate a diagnostic report: Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)
    • Change the email address on the To: line of the email to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/535931/#Comment_535931
    • Your forum username: reebs26
    • The time that you noted above
    • The screenshot showing the error

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• reebs26
    reebs26
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, this morning I decided to try one more time. It worked. I'm going to assume it was operator error on my part—I'm assuming I somehow entered the password wrong all zillion times I tried it on the phone, yet miraculously did it right all zillion times on the desktop. At any rate, both families are now on my iphone. Thank you for your patient help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome! I am glad to hear that everything is working :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.