How do I remove a vault if the Master Password has been 'lost'.

xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member
edited November 2019 in Mac

Some while ago while assisting another 1P user, I added that user's account to my local 1Password instance. The other user then changed (and forgot) the account master password so that the added vault is not usable by anyone. Subsequently, upon first unlocking 1Password with my Master Password, 1P tries unsuccessfully to access the unusable vault and puts up an error dialog.

1. How can I get my local 1Password instance to forget the other user's account?
  2. What can I tell the other user about recovering account access in order to create a new master password/vault pair to replace the one that is unusable.

=====
Side note: 1P7 works fine both macOS machines and iDevices. The iOS integration is fantastic and continually improving. And, I have never experienced vault sync failures since subscribing and using AgileBitsCloud. I routinely switch between Safari, Safari Technology Preview, and Firefox, depending on my use case. When using multiple browsers, I skip Autofill and pin the selected item to enable cut and paste to non-default browser instances.

I have not submitted beta feedback lately since I have experienced no problems of significance to relate. Today's posting is simple a request for assistance with a user error.

1Password Version: Version 7.4.2.BETA-0 (70402000)
Extension Version: automatic
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6 (18G1012)
Sync Type: AgileBitsCloud

Comments

• rudy
    edited November 2019

@xz4gb8,

If you're able to unlock 1Password then:

1. you should be able to go to the Preferences -> Accounts and remove their account from the list by selecting their account in the list and hitting either the delete key on your keyboard or the - button at the bottom of the list.

2. if they truly don't know their master password or they lost their secret key then they will need to contact support in order to reset their account and start over.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

@rudy,
    I have too many years of muscle memory from using OS X and not enough screen contrast for today.

I had been trying to right-click the account name. Of course, now that "Mom said, 'look in the sock drawer.'", I found my socks." -- that is, the Plus and Minus buttons.

Thank you.

• Glad to hear it worked out. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.