Where are .opvault files stored in Catalina?

Options
OogieM
OogieM
Community Member

I have 1Password standalone version 7.4 installed on my main iMac running High Sierra.

I use WLAN sync from that machine to sync with my iOS devices.

I have 2 mac laptops, one older MacAir also running High Sierra and 1 brand new one running Catalina.

The way I keep the 1Password in sync from iMac to old MacAir is run a ChronoSync job that copies the folder Documents/1Password from iMac to old MacAir when I want to update it. When I set it up initially I used that method to overwrite the empty 1Password database that had been created in the folder Documents/1Password.

Now on the new MacAir under Catalina I installed 1Password, got my license attached to it and went to look for the folder 1Password in Documents but it isn't there. I've looked for where the new system is storing the installed initial primary vault but I can't find it so I can't force an overwrite.

It is not an option to use iCloud, or Dropbox or any other cloud based system to keep the 3 macs in sync. I am required to do it manually.

So I need to know where to find the files I have to replace on the new MacAir under Catalina so I can set up a new ChronSync job that will perform the copies correctly. All the help documents talk about a 1Password folder in Library/Application Support but there isn't one there either on the new MacAir.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• @OogieM,

Its not Catalina, its 1Password 7. Its data lives in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

Coming back to this, had to do sheep work and had no time to work on the new computer.

I found the location of some agilebits files per above but there is no .opvault file there that I can replace when I get a new one from my Master mac.

What I need is the location of the .opvault file that 1Password uses under Catalina?

I can then set up a sync job to move the one from my main iMac to the laptop as needed.

As I've mentioned I cannot use any sort of cloud based sync. I need to do it all in house. If 1Password supported WebDAV that would be my preference but you don't so my only option is to manually sync by replacing the old .opvault file whenever I need the latest version from my "Master" computer.

The only folders in the container folder are Brain, Library License and Watchtower. Following the paths in all of these never finds anything with .opvault as a suffix.

Given my use case what files do I need to replace on my laptop with what files from my iMac to perform a manual sync of all the vaults?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @OogieM

OPVaults are only created when Dropbox or folder sync are set up:

Sync your 1Password data

Given my use case what files do I need to replace on my laptop with what files from my iMac to perform a manual sync of all the vaults?

This isn't a solution that we support; my apologies. Our supported sync solutions are outlined above.

Ben

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

No they are not outlined above.

Put it another way. How do I sync 2 macs without using Dropbox or a 1Password account? This was possible between macs before but appears not to be possible now if one of the Macs is running Catalina.

From the Support section I see this https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

Using that as a model previously all I and to do was be sure that I kept the 2 .opvaults in sync myself.

• Ben
    Options

@OogieM

No they are not outlined above.

All of the options we support are indeed in the guide. There may be other ways to accomplish a sync, but they aren't supported by us.

How do I sync 2 macs without using Dropbox or a 1Password account?

iCloud would be the other supported option. You could potentially also utilize folder sync and a 3rd party utility, but that would be outside the scope of what we could help you set up and maintain.

Ben

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

ARGH I'm clearly not explaining myself properly.

I cannot and will not ever be able to use any cloud based sync that is not controlled entirely by my company.

So iCloud, Dropbox and 1Password memberships are out. Period.

I recognize this is a problem that Agilebits has never wanted to solve. But there was a solution, albeit unsupported, to sync to a folder and then keep these folders in sync cross multiple devices using something else, either sneaker net by moving the .opvault files across to all machines or via other sync software like ChronoSync

I can't get the previously working solution (I was using the sneakernet version) working with a new mac running Catalina.

The issue is that there is no .opvault file I can find to keep in sync. That's where I'm stuck.

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Further info. When I selected sync with folder on the new Mac I selected a folder I created on my new mac. The location of that folder is where I expected to have seen the .opvault files. But they aren't there, hence the series of questions about where they get stored now.

• @oogieM,

OPVaults aren't the primary storage format of 1Password data, so OPVaults don't exist outside of creating them by way of either Folder Sync or Dropbox sync on the Sync tab in the Preferences window. You'll select Folder Sync on the Sync tab for each vault you have, and choose a location on disk for it to put the opvault in order to re-create what you had before.

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

That's what I did, I selected the place I wanted them to be located and they aren't there! According to the preferences within 1Password they are syncing to that folder but the files do not exist there that I can see.

Are they perhaps hidden files somehow? I can't check this am, but later this afternoon I can set all hidden files to be visible and see if they show up then.

Is there something in Catalina that changes that standard behavior?

• Ben
    Options

@OogieM

If you've set up folder sync there is just one file: an opvault file. Technically it is a container, with lots of files in it (similar to a folder) but it appears in Finder as a single file. It isn't a hidden file. What folder did you select for folder sync?

Is there something in Catalina that changes that standard behavior?

Not that I've found or heard of.

Ben

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

I created a folder in Documents called 1Password

Then in 1Password app I selected Sync, Folder Sync, Choose and selected the folder 1Password

On the preferences screen it shows syncing to the file 1Password.opvault. But if I navigate to the folder and look there isn't a .opvault file there. If I search for files with title opvault I don't find any.

So it appears to be working but hiding the actual file from user view.

There is only 1 user on this system and I am the administrator.

This discussion has been closed.