Vault file location on windows computer

Options

Is it possible to choose the 1password vault file location on my computer? I want to use the 1password account benefits but would like to store the 1password data (vault, backups, etc...) on my D drive instead of the actual C drive that is used.
Thanks

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 8.1
Sync Type: no sync
Referrer: forum-search:vault file location windows

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FCroteau: If you're using a local vault (not a 1Password membership account), you can use Folder Sync to do that. With a 1Password membership account, the encrypted data is backed up on the server, including item history. Regardless, 1Password's encrypted data is cached in its support folder on the system partition so that it's available offline. And it likely takes up much less space than most software you have installed there as well.

• FCroteau
    FCroteau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I want to keep my 1Password membership account but would like to store its local folder on my D drive instead of the actual C drive. The reason for that is because my computer is setup to have all my data (music, pictures, emails, evernote data, personal files, etc, etc.) on my D drive, and all my programs (windows, office, acrobat, internet explorer, google, etc, etc, etc...) on my C drive (the system drive). On a regular basis, I take a complete backup of my C drive (with ACRONIS) that I sometime use to restore my system to the date of the backup, in case of any problem (virus, bug, any...). This way, I keep all my data intact when restoring my system. Many programs have the ability to change the default file location. I was wondering if 1Password could it or allow it.

If not, my next question is what would happened if I would restore my system drive with the backup taken, lets say one month ago? Would I loose all the new 1Password entries done during the last month? or would it be automatically resync with the 1Password data that are stored in the 1Password server?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Many programs have the ability to change the default file location. I was wondering if 1Password could it or allow it.

@FCroteau: It does not, but it doesn't matter for your purposes:

If not, my next question is what would happened if I would restore my system drive with the backup taken, lets say one month ago? Would I loose all the new 1Password entries done during the last month? or would it be automatically resync with the 1Password data that are stored in the 1Password server?

Exactly. Since your encrypted 1Password data is stored in your account on the server, you'll always get the latest data from there. I'd suggest even just excluding 1Password's support folder from your image for simplicity:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password

When 1Password has nothing in its support folder (or no support folder at all), it simply creates it upon launch, and you'll be right there at the setup screen where you can sign into your account again and you'll be all set. :)

• FCroteau
    FCroteau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I will try it. I took a system backup yesterday (my complete C drive). I will create a few dummy entries in 1PASSWORD and restore my system after that using yesterday backup.... and verify if my new dummy entries are still in 1Password after the restore. Hopefully, they will be automatically sync back like you said (and not sync the other way around). I will confirm my results.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• FCroteau
    FCroteau
    Community Member
    Options

I did worked exactly as you indicated Brenty. I am impressed.

Knowing that now... can you please tell me the purpose of the 1Password backups... and when and how to used them?

Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FCroteau: The backups in 1Password 7 for Windows are meant for local (standalone) vaults. If you are using a 1Password account, then you can skip it. 1Password accounts are automatically backed up on 1Password.com. :)

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• FCroteau
    FCroteau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Greg

• FCroteau
    FCroteau
    Community Member
    Options

I like 1Password a lot.

I use ENPASS right now. I realised that 1Password can import from many different applications such as Lasspass, Dashlane, Roboform..... but not from ENPASS unfortunatly. I had a quick look at IMPORTING FROM OTHERS but it seems very complicated. Is it?

My daugther uses AllPass pro and she is facing the same problem if she wants to import into 1PASSWORD.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FCroteau, you are very welcome! We are here to help. :)

You can indeed use our community supported converter tools to convert your Enpass data and import it to 1Password and we have a comprehensive step by step instructions on how to do it here. It may seem complicated, but if you bump into any difficulties, please let us know.

As for AllPass, I am afraid it is not supported by the converter at the moment. Does your daughter have a lot of passwords saved there? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FCroteau: More importantly, can you get the data out of it? That's the critical first step, and not a given.

This discussion has been closed.