What is the best way to move a vault from my.1password.com to my.1password.eu

Hello.

I am a long time user of 1Password and have - at the time - transitioned from a local vault to the online vault on my.1password.com.
In the meantime Agilebit has made my.1password.eu available, and I would like to migrate.

A new account at my.1password.eu has been created and added to my local Windows client of 1Password. A first copy of items from the old vault to the new vault was successful, but also warned me with "Note: custom icons, attachments, and custom template items were skipped." This warning is, what has me asking for your support, if you'd be so kind.

Attachments:
I have checked some entries, and entries that had an attachment still show an attachment, but clicking on the attachment changes to the old vault.
I am aware that documents can not be copied across regions, as stated here. It advises "To copy Document items, download them to your computer, then upload them to the new account.". I was under the impression that this meant using the locally installed 1Password.exe and add both accounts to it, then copy the items. Which is what I have done. But my attachments are still only in the old vault. Note: I do not mind that the link is severed (well I do, for 546 documents, but I accept that this as it has been documented. I still need those 546 documents in the eu-vault.) Could you explain to me how to proceed, please?

Custom Templates:
I wasn't even aware that there are such things as custom templates. Searching for an explanation what "custom templates" are hasn't yielded any results for me (other than hundreds of posts asking for this feature from 20xy).
I do have changed fieldnames sometimes, e.g. renaming "Birthday" to "Marriage Date". This hasn't been lost - as far as I can see, but there are too many entries to check to be sure.
Could you elaborate a little what a custom template is and how I could check if the migration was successful, please? (Or point me to the appropriate resource)

In General
The migration, of which I assumed was just a drag and drop operation, turns out to be very, very painful. Not only are custom icons lost, which I think of as a cosmetic issue, albeit having invested quite some time in it, I need to re-link hundreds of documents, and while that sounds like a tedious work, it is made worse by the fact that navigating in 1Password has always been a laborious thing to do, since there is only one window. I'm helping myself by opening the web GUI in a browser to at least view to different entries, but there is a mountain of work ahead of me.

Allow me to ask before investing this time if there is a better way of doing things. I fondly remember the good ole' times, when you could export everything to a 1password backup and restore that. I've looked into Exporting things (from the items' context menu) but that just creates a csv or txt file - and that could not even be imported with the Import... menu...

I still have an trusty old Mac here, with 10.13 High Sierra, which has 1Password installed in the most current version. Is there something that I can do there to make the migration more efficient?

Thank you for your help. Have a nice day.

Some of the things I've looked at before posting this:
https://support.1password.com/export/
https://support.1password.com/local-folder/
https://support.1password.com/backups/
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86340/questions-about-eu-server

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: -
OS Version: Windows 10 v1903
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• Quantum_Libet
    Quantum_Libet
    Community Member

Has nobody ever done this? The subscription of the old vault is ending in 7 days, and what had seems a trivial thing to do seems worse and worse with each try. Is there no guidance from Agilebits?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Quantum_Libet,

I am sorry for these troubles with the migration! We are overwhelmed a little at the moment, so I apologise for the delay with our response.

First of all, I am sorry for the confusion with Custom Templates. They are available in 1Password Teams accounts on a limited basis, because we are still looking at ways to implement them properly for everyone.

Secondly, I am a little confused by your current setup. The thing is that we do not have attachments in 1Password accounts, we have Documents instead. If you see attachments on your side, it is possible that you still have a standalone vault, not 1Password.com account. Do you see your existing vault under "On this PC" sub-header in 1Password 7?

If you still have a local vault, then the steps you need to take will be a little different, so please let me know what you find and we'll go from there. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Quantum_Libet
    Quantum_Libet
    Community Member

Hello @Greg,

thank you for your answer.

About Custom Templates:
    Thank you for the explanation. If that is not relevant for me, one thing less to check for.

About Attachments/Documents:
    I have been deliberately making a difference between "attachment" and "document".
    All attachments are documents, and show up in the left hand side "Documents" category. But not all documents are attachments as well. When attached/linked to another entry, under the heading "Related Items", 1Password calls them "Imported Attachment(s)", and to identify in my first post what exactly I was talking about, I thought it was good to make the differentiation. Sorry for any confusion that caused.
    Example

About local vaults:
    No, I do not use those (anymore). Is there a way to go from the current online vault to a local vault and then back to the new online vault?
    I have - at some point in the past - transitioned from a local vault to the online vault on my.1password.com.
    I am able to create a new local vault, and have done so on Windows as well as Mac. But dragging and dropping entries there as well as copying with the context menu > Share > Local Vault > Copy is no different than moving things between online vaults.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Quantum_Libet,

Thank you for the additional info!

It seems that you have all of those "attachments" saved as Document items in your old vault. That is why when you click a related item on the item in EU account, it switches to your old vault – because those document items are still there. I believe that you will need to download your Document items to your computer and then upload them to a new account.

I understand that this is a huge pain in the neck and I apologise for that. We are looking at different ways to improve this behaviour.

I am also trying different things in 1Password 7 on my PC, because I want to find out why your documents have that "Imported Attachment" sub-header. I tried both copying and importing and my migrated attachments have the name of the attachment in that place.

If you have further questions, feel free to raise them. We are here to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Quantum_Libet
    Quantum_Libet
    Community Member

Hi @Greg,

Thank you for looking into this. The "solution" makes me gulp hard. There are currently over 1000 documents.

'Pain in the neck' is putting it nicely... :(

Your advice is to download the Documents to my computer and re-upload them. In the olden times, there was a local vault I could use to do this. There still is the option of a local vault, but I cannot for the life of me, find a way to move/copy/drag the Documents there. What am I doing wrong? Could you please elaborate a little on how that download can be achieved?

Is there a way to summarily download all Documents and re-upload them? I am aware that the link to the login entry that is currently existing will be severed, but at least the data wouldn't be lost.

Thank you for your patience. Have a great day!

• Eek, @Quantum_Libet! That really is awful, I'm sorry. There isn't currently any way to copy documents across regions and you're going to have to forgive me for being somewhat scant on details here because I don't have a complete understanding of the nitty-gritty myself, but one of the primary reasons this is the case is because copying Documents requires direct communication between .com and .eu. The .ca and .eu instances of 1Password are both fully GDPR compliant and in order to meet that standard, that means they can't talk to .com since it lives in the U.S., a country the GDPR (quite reasonably) considers not to meet its standards for data privacy. We've got some ideas about a solution that would allow for this in the future, but for the moment, downloading and re-uploading is truly the only option.

Even if you were to move these Documents to a standalone vault you'd need to do the same thing – download them and re-add them as attachments since standalone vaults have no concept of Document items. I don't think you'd save any time by taking that path, unfortunately, and I feel really awful to have to say so. We don't see many folks with that number of Documents. In fact, I can't say I've ever seen that. But it's definitely a case in which how this is handled right now causes far more pain than it might otherwise and I think I'd do more than gulp in your shoes. It's not worth much, but you have my apologies and my sympathy. I'd wager this is something that might take a fair bit longer than you have left on your .com subscription, so if you can drop us an e-mail and just mention Kate said you can have some freebies in the body of your message, I'll make sure you get some extended time on that .com account free of charge in some attempt to make up for it. :frown: 💖

• Quantum_Libet
    Quantum_Libet
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate,

thank you for you sympathetic answer.💖 It is much appreciated, even more so as I feel quite overwhelmed by the unexpected turn of events and the road ahead.
    As a surprise, my account is frozen since yesterday - I thought I had another 5 days, but obviously got that wrong. I'd like to take you up on your very generous offer and will drop you/your company a mail. Thank your for your support!

Have a very nice day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Quantum_Libet: Likewise, thank you! I've got your email here and will get back to you shortly. :)

ref: BLU-77723-485

This discussion has been closed.