Invite new way is confusing

madflute
madflute
Community Member

I remember I was just able to invite a family member who shows up on my family list. Today, I found out it is no longer that simple. The recipient receives the invitation email which doesn't open his/her 1Password app but instead, you have to create a new account, ending up 2 accounts showing in his/her app. This is very confusing to me.

I feel like I am missing something or did something terribly wrong. I'd had hoped as easy as inviting someone to a vault, like the old way.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @madflute!

I remember I was just able to invite a family member who shows up on my family list. Today, I found out it is no longer that simple. The recipient receives the invitation email which doesn't open his/her 1Password app but instead, you have to create a new account, ending up 2 accounts showing in his/her app. This is very confusing to me.

This is how it has always been, you always had to invite a user to the Families account first and have them join your account, before before you can give them access to a vault.

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

My wife doesn't have 2 accounts. She is a member of my account. The newly added family member ended up 2 accounts, her own and my account. Is this because she had her own before I invited her?

• @madflute

Yes, either that, or signed up for a separate one after you invited her (perhaps while attempting to accept your invite). Being invited to a 1Password Families membership, by itself, does not result in having two accounts. If she would like we can let her know when each of the accounts was created, but that is something we'd have to communicate with her directly on. If she is interested in that information, in case it helps her sort out how she ended up in this state, please have her email us at support+forum@1password.com from the email address associated with her 1Password accounts. Then post the support ID that she receives back from BitBot here.

Thanks.

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

I can start over with her by deleting the member. So, when she receives the invitation email, the link is only to create a new account, and her 1Password app doesn't show any invitation. What is the proper procedure on her end?

• I'm not sure I see how that would be helpful. If the other account is the redundant and unwanted one, I would think it would make more sense to delete that one? That said, I wouldn't recommend making any changes without first making sure her data is safe. Does she currently have data stored in 1Password that she wants to keep? Or is 1Password new to her?

Please let me know.

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

Maybe I should step back. She has been using 1Password for a year. I now have items I need to share with her. What is the proper action? I started to realize her case is different from my mother and wife since they didn't have 1Password before I added them.

• @madflute

Is the intention for her to continue to pay for her own membership separate from the 1Password Families membership, or to discontinue the existing membership and solely have her account within your membership?

If the intention is to have just one account, with that account being part of your family, she would need to:

1. Accept an invitation that you send her and as a result create a new account within your membership: Share passwords in 1Password Families
    2. Add the new account to one of her 1Password apps: Get the 1Password apps
    3. Move her data from the old account to the new: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account
    4. Delete the old membership: How to delete your 1Password account

If the intention is for her to continue her existing membership, and also have access to one or more shared vaults within your family, then only steps 1 & 2 are required. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

I will discuss with her. Thank you so much for your help!

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

Hi again. So, we decided to start over from scratch by deleting extra users.

I invited her as a guest user. She responded and all seems going well as long as she logs into my account as the member on the web, but she must log out of her account. The bigger issue is we couldn't figure out how to see the shared items on her 1Password Mac app. My account shows up on her app fine. Her 1Password pref shows she is logged in but none of the shared items show up. What are we doing wrong?

• @madflute

Did you approve her account after she accepted the invite?

After each account is set up, you’ll receive an email notification. Click the link in the email to confirm each account.

(from https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/#invite-your-family)

Also, please note that guests can only have access to a maximum of 1 vault within your membership, and they do not get their own Personal vault:

A guest can only be invited to a single vault at a time, but you can remove them from one vault, then add them to a different one.

(from https://support.1password.com/guests/)

Please let me know.

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Yes, I approved her right away. Then I created a vault to share. Added her to the vault with View/Edit privilege. I copied 2 items to that vault. On her end, she only sees my account name with the avatar of my account, but nothing else below my account name.

• @madflute

At https://my.1password.com/home does she see the vault you've shared with her? It is normal that guests don't have anything in the right-hand sidebar. But she should see the vault on the homepage.

If she does see it there... In 1Password for Mac if she opens the vault switcher (top left) does she see the vault? If not could you please send a screenshot and a diagnostic report?

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/536601/#Comment_536601
    • Your forum username: madflute
    • A screenshot showing 1Password for Mac with the vault switcher open: ▷ How to take a screenshot

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

Thank you for your help. This may take some time. She is leaving the country tomorrow morning (hoped to share passwords for her trip) and I don't live close to her. Will report back when she comes back.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, thank you for the update :+1:

This discussion has been closed.