1Password 7 Mac Safari & Chrome extensions not working reliably

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 on a 2017 MacBook Pro. I was really happy with how version 6 worked and never had any problems.

Since the update to version 7 the extensions in both Safari and Chrome stopped working reliably. About 20% of the time it works and the other 80% it doesn't auto-fill the fields, no matter how often I try or what I do. It doesn't even copy the password for me to paste it in manually. I have to open up the main app, search for the login and copy the password from there. Then I can paste it. This is very annoying and looks like a bug to me.

It also requires me to unlock it with Touch ID every single time I'm using it even though last time was just 30 seconds ago. I checked the settings and it's not supposed to lock after every use. Any idea what could be wrong or how to solve it. I already deleted and reinstalled the app once without success.

Thanks!


1Password Version: 7.4.1 (70401002)
Extension Version: 7.4
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension

Comments

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member

    @roodegar: You mentioned that "About 20% of the time it works and the other 80% it doesn't auto-fill the fields"; can you tell me what does happen: what steps are you taking, and what is the result? Drag and Drop may help, but I'd like to have a basic understanding of your issue as well.

    Regarding the Touch ID issue, if you're using iOS Password Autofill, you will absolutely need to unlock any time you try to fill credentials, either using your Master Password or Touch ID, based on whether or not you've unlocked the main 1Password app first recently.

  • This exact thing is happening to me as well. I would love to what the solution is. When using the Safari extension on my Macbook Pro OS 10.14.6 it opens but when will not auto-fill, drag and drop or copy and paste - it opens and then closes immediately. Eventually, or sometimes it will start to work. It seems like if I stop and do something else and come back 5 - 10 minutes later it works.

  • roodegarroodegar Junior Member

    @RylenF Yes, this is exactly the behavior.
    @brenty Here is what typically happens. I'm on a webpage that requires a login. I right click on the input field and click on the 1password command in the context menu. 1password briefly flashes on the top mac title bar but the extension doesn't show up. I then repeat the steps and the extension pops up and prompts me for the fingerprint. It then opens up but when I click on the auto-fill button nothing happens and the extension disappears. Then I repeat the steps and it prompts me again to unlock it with my fingerprint. Instead of clicking on the auto-fill button I try to copy the password and paste it in manually. It won't copy. Exactly like @RylenF describes. And every subsequent time I try to open the extension it again prompts me for the fingerprint even though I had just opened it a few seconds ago (that's the Touch ID issue I was talking about, not on iOS) but then again it doesn't work.
    As mentioned I then have to open the main app, search for the login and copy the password manually. That works. And then randomly sometimes it does work but I haven't found a pattern when or why it all of a sudden works. The next time I try it might again not work. Really frustrating especially because version 6 worked flawlessly on the same machine. I hope that helps understand the issue. Thanks.

  • any resolve or ideas about this bug?

  • This is also happening to me, Safari Version 13.0.3, 1Password 7, Version 7.4.1 (70401002), 1Password Store. Clicking the 1Password Icon in safari does nothing.

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    edited November 2019

    If you Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q -- and then restart it, are you able to open 1Password mini from the menu bar icon or using ⌘ ⌥ \?

  • I have a similar behavior on MacOS using Safari and Chrome, but Firefox works perfectly. I've experienced the following:

    • When I'm at a field, the 1Password icon shows up to the right of the field but hovering or clicking it doesn't do anything. No typical dropdown or prompt for password, just nothing.
    • The browser extension icon in the tool bar on Safari doesn't do anything either, clicking or hovering nothing. Chrome toolbar icon when clicked does show the panel as it should, but at times (like stated above) I have to click multiple times for it to register.
    • In MacOS Safari/Chrome, the 2FA codes don't get auto inserted into the fields where setup properly, FireFox works perfectly.

    Chrome and Safari have drastically changed the way extensions work and my assumption was/is that this broke the interaction of 1Password with the browser.

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    edited November 2019

    I have a similar behavior on MacOS using Safari and Chrome, but Firefox works perfectly. I've experienced the following:

    @barddzen: I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not following you here:

    When I'm at a field, the 1Password icon shows up to the right of the field but hovering or clicking it doesn't do anything. No typical dropdown or prompt for password, just nothing.

    That's not possible in Safari, as 1Password X does not work there. 1Password X is the only way you'd have an inline 1Password icon in the webpage. Can you confirm the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using there?

    The browser extension icon in the tool bar on Safari doesn't do anything either, clicking or hovering nothing. Chrome toolbar icon when clicked does show the panel as it should, but at times (like stated above) I have to click multiple times for it to register.

    That definitely sounds abnormal though.

    In MacOS Safari/Chrome, the 2FA codes don't get auto inserted into the fields where setup properly, FireFox works perfectly.

    It sounds like you're using 1Password X in Firefox. You can also use that in Chrome (-based browsers), and it will work that way. But using the 1Password desktop app's companion extension in Safari or any other browser, you will need to either paste the TOTP code from the clipboard, or press ⌘ \ to fill it.

    Chrome and Safari have drastically changed the way extensions work and my assumption was/is that this broke the interaction of 1Password with the browser.

    It's very possible that some updates have caused a temporary hiccup, but we should be able to sort that out. And, ultimately, it would be best to use one form of 1Password in your browser and stick with it to avoid confusion. It sounds like something is just hung up with Native Messaging on your system though for starters. You should be able to resolve that by Quitting 1Password Completely -- Command Control Option Q -- and then the browser before restarting both. Otherwise, if something is interfering with that, rebooting and unlocking 1Password before launching the browser should do the trick. Let me know how it goes. :)

  • Thanks for the reply, I tried all of what you mentioned which is why I made this post. I mainly used Safari for years and 1Password, but in 2019 started using Linux and other Operating Systems and thus had to be a bit more cross-platform which is why I switched to Firefox. Safari just seems broken compared to how it was working prior to the Apple changes and Catalina and certainly how it's working fine in Firefox and somewhat in Chrome.

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member

    @barddzen: I'd really suggest you try what I suggested and answer my questions. It's going to be hard to help you otherwise. :)

  • roodegarroodegar Junior Member

    @brenty When I completely quit 1Password using the "Command Option Control Q"-command and then restart it, it seems to work. But the main app has to be open, otherwise the extension does't appear on first try and when it does on second try it does nothing.

  • roodegarroodegar Junior Member

    Hold on, I just discovered under "preferences/browser" a setting that's called "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running". For some reason this was disabled on my machine and I don't recall ever disabling it. I didn't even know it exists and have overlooked it until now. After enabling it, the extension seems to work. I'll report back if this doesn't solve the problem after more testing.

  • ag_anaag_ana

    Team Member

    Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear this :+1:

  • roodegarroodegar Junior Member

    With that above mentioned setting turned on the extension now seems to work correctly. I'm not sure why it was turned off after updating from version 6 but I think users should be notified if they're attempting to use the extension and the extension helper is turned off in settings. Not sure whether I missed it or if such a notification doesn't exist, but it would certainly lead to less frustration.
    Thanks.

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    edited November 2019

    Sorry for the trouble. I agree. But it isn't possible for the 1Password app to notify you in that case as it isn't running at all. And the extension will only see that it cannot connect to the app, of which there are innumerable potential causes (not to mention it is pretty "dumb" since it relies on the app for its functionality), so that won't work either, at least for the foreseeable future. But we're here for you if you need us. Happy holidays! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file