Resetting Family member account

bkeller500
bkeller500
Community Member

I recently upgraded to the 1Password family plan for my wife and I. Each with iPhones, iPads and iMacs. My conversion went easily and I had no issues. When I set up my wife's iMac, I sent her an invitation and she accepted, but along the way when asked to scan her secret key, i accidentally scanned my secret key and logged in. Now she sees my account the same as I do. since we both have 300 passwords and some with attachments deleting her account and starting over is questionable......that is...... if I am looking at her iMac and thinking about deleting and starting over.....If deleted ....am I deleting my account because her iMac thinks it's me and my account. I did load her logins into a shared folder and created a new folder in her nick name and transferred the logins to that folder but again since we both see the entire account and and all the vaults....If I delete on hers to start over, will I loose her vaults and my vaults. How would I go about restarting her account and still maintain all the vaults then readdressing her. Sorry for the confusion......

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bkeller500: Just sign out of the account, or reset the app. That will have no effect on the account or the data in it, and then she can sign in using her own 1Password account credentials. I suspect you'll have more questions after that, but just let me know. This should get you back on track. :)

• bkeller500
    bkeller500
    Community Member

thanks for your reply.....but when I go to reset and scan the correct secret key I get a message that I cannot have more than 1 of the same accounts on computer. Looking at the +/- add account screen. If I - (minus) the current account, I get a warning it will delete all data for that account. that is what worries me. wiping out both her data and mine, because her computer thinks it's me, will i be deleting all data?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

thanks for your reply.....but when I go to reset and scan the correct secret key I get a message that I cannot have more than 1 of the same accounts on computer.

@bkeller500: You cannot sign into multiple accounts from the same family membership in a single instance of 1Password. You should use the built-in multi-user support in the OS, both for security and the convenience of each person having their own setup:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

Looking at the +/- add account screen. If I - (minus) the current account, I get a warning it will delete all data for that account. that is what worries me. wiping out both her data and mine, because her computer thinks it's me, will i be deleting all data?

I think you're misreading the message, but if it really does say that please send a screenshot so I can look into it being reworded.

If you remove the account from the app, that account's data will be removed from the computer, but it still exists in the account on the server, and the account itself will not be deleted. It's the equivalent of signing out of your email account on a device; that does not delete your actual email account; you can sign into it again anywhere at any time.

This discussion has been closed.