Bringing my brother on board...

Options
williakz
williakz
Community Member
edited November 2019 in Families

1P7 Family. My wife and I are finally up and running and all is working reasonably well across all our (Apple) devices. It's now time to bring my out-of-state brother into the fold (he has iMac and iPhone only).

I initially set up vaults within my account for each family member (5 in total) and populated them with properly filled-out Identity forms. I intend to extend a 1P7 invite to my brother, take control of his computer with Apple's Screen Sharing utility, accept the invite on his machine which I'll then confirm on my machine, then generate his Master Password and print out his Emergency Kit on his machine. Then I'll add him to those allowed access to the vault I've already set up to store his secure but non-private info, and help him to begin storing his logins there. A quick install of 1P IOS on his phone, and he SHOULD be all set. After some testing and training on his system, l'll remove myself from routine access to his vault and move on to the next family member.

Any problems or potential issues with this plan? It's a bit hand-holdy simply because my brother has very poor eyesight, a bad case of techphobia, and spotty typing/texting skills.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @williakz

It sounds like you've put a fair bit of thought into this. Yes, that all sounds like a reasonable approach. I can't really think of anything else I'd recommend. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the checkup @Ben. I'll be sure to post back how things go. As needed, I'll be modifying the procedure to bring in my elderly father (iMac/Jitterbug) and aunt (Windows laptop/iPhone).

• Ben
    Options

Sounds like a plan. :+1:

Ben

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

@Ben:

As an update—and for any use it may be to other users—things went well bringing my brother on board the 1Password lifeboat.

I was a bit confused with the precise timing/sequence of the invite/enter/confirm steps within the account setup procedure, but we got through it. He decided on Firefox as his choice of browser so we then pared his bookmarks there to just those ones actually used. Of them, approx. 20 led to passworded accounts. So those logins went into the 1Password "Main" vault (sorry Brenty) I had set up previously. Then it was just a matter of configuring Firefox, Chrome/Google, and Safari/iCloud to let 1Password handle things and the iMac was done.

A quick setup of Touch ID on his iPhone 8 Plus (IMO, 1Password IOS is effectively unusable without Touch or Face ID), a SLOW update of IOS to the latest version, a fast and painless installation of 1Password IOS, and a bit of jiggering with the various settings in "Passwords and Accounts" and in the browsers, and that was that. We finished up with a bit of training on how to actually log into his various sites on both the iMac and iPhone and he was all set.

I have to tell you how thrilled my brother was to be finally out from under the increasingly dire consequences of misremembering (forgetting) and mistyping even his limited number of usernames and passwords. With just the Master Password to remember—we picked a decent one that is both easily remembered and readily hunted and pecked, and made sure to print out his Emergency Kit—he can now proceed with confidence that what goes in to the vault will be there for easy recall and use as and when he needs it. Thanks so much to all you fine folks at AgileBits from me and my brother.

This discussion has been closed.