Authenticating in Chrome: Password field not filling in dots as I type

Options

Just installed 1password and the Chrome extension yesterday. Today, when I fired up chrome and authenticated 1Password, only 1 dot appeared in the password field as I typed. It seemed as if 1password had become unresponsive. Waiting for quite a while, more dots appeared, but not as many as the characters I had typed.

I found that entering the password and hitting return worked, even though I had little feedback on my typing.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome catalina

Comments

• rbur004
    rbur004
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

A picture might help. Got more than 1 dot this time.

ps
    Google Chrome is up to date
    Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Hey there @rbur004! Thanks so much for reaching out. Sorry about the trouble. Would you happen to be using an external/secondary display? There's currently a bug in Chromium that causes some lag and visual bugs while using extensions that have pop-ups on an external display. If you're interested, you can learn more about the bug here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=971701

While we await a fix, I definitely recommend sticking to using 1Password X on your primary monitor. Let me know if that's not the case, though, so we can take a deeper look.

• rbur004
    rbur004
    Community Member
    Options

I'm guessing it was the secondary monitor I had the issue with, as it is my main working monitor. The primary is the laptop, where the secondary is a 4K monitor.

Testing it this morning, it looks as if the primary monitor works fine, and the secondary has the problem.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rbur004 – It does sound like the Chromium issue Cecelia linked above. If you happen to be using both the external monitor and your laptop side-by-side, I've noticed that dragging the Chrome window to your primary (laptop) screen results in no lag in 1Password X. The good news is that, despite the lag, your Master Password should still be able to be typed normally even though you can't see it. That's why typing your Master Password and pressing enter will still unlock 1Password X as you'd expect.

This discussion has been closed.