When sorting entries by password strength, some newly updated items show up as "none"

Some (but not all) items with passwords that have been changed in the last 5 days (or are new entries altogether) are listed as "none" in password strength. The little coloured circle next to the password is empty, with the word "terrible" next to it. They definitely do have passwords, very good ones.

1Password Version: 7.4.2.BETA-0
Extension Version: 1.17.5 X Beta Firefox
OS Version: macOS 10.15.1
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rivercliko! Welcome to the forum!

Were all of these password generated by the 1Password password generator, or were some of them created manually?

• rivercliko
    rivercliko
    Community Member

Some were generated by the generator, a couple were generated and then edited.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @rivercliko. I think this happens when you manually edit a password. The password strength calculator should work properly if you let the 1Password password generator create a password without modifying afterwards.

As a quick test, can you please try generating a password within 1Password (without editing afterwards), and see if the password strength is correctly calculated this time?

• rivercliko
    rivercliko
    Community Member

Okay I've figured it out. If I generate a password using 1Password Mini and copy and paste it in, and then save it through 1Password X beta, then it lists it as password length = none. If I just use the suggested password that's there, then it works. Is there any way to change the suggested password from a random one to a passphrase in 1Password X?

I'm using the beta versions of 1Password for Mac and 1Password X Firefox. Are these known issues?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rivercliko:

You can choose the word generator in 1Password X by choosing the Memorable Password option:

I think what you are seeing is normal: 1Password can only judge the strength of the password if it is generated inside the app. If you copy and paste this password (even from 1Password for Mac to 1Password X), the extension has no way to know how the password has been generated, and therefore defaults to password strength = none because it cannot know how secure it is.

• rivercliko
    rivercliko
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

This doesn't work either - if I use the password generator in the 1Password X extension menu (either random or memorable) it comes up as "none" in the main app. Only if I click on the 'suggested password' in the dropdown menu does a proper reading come up.

This is odd as I have passwords imported from Bitwarden which were definitely not created by 1Password, and all these do have proper strength ratings.

EDIT: I've tried this about 5 times in a row, making a fake account for Pinterest - it worked about half the time, and I can't tell why it didn't work sometimes

EDIT EDIT: Also, if I modify the password in 1Password for Mac manually (by, say, adding a letter) and then changing it back, it then calculates a proper score. Is there any way 1Password could do this automatically so I don't have to do it for every account? Consider this a feature request!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rivercliko! I really appreciate you taking the time to test this out for us. It means a lot. ❤️

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself, so I want to make sure we're following the same steps. Here are the steps I'm taking:

You mentioned Pinterest, so I'll use that for my example as well.

1. Visit the Pinterest registration page.
    2. Click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    3. + button.">Click the + button.
    4. Click Password Generator.
    5. Autofill.">With a memorable password selected, click Autofill.
    6. Click Save when the modal appears.
    7. Switch to 1Password for Mac and view the item you just created.

As you can see above, the password I filled via 1Password X was rated as fantastic. If you see any different results, please do let me know!

This discussion has been closed.