I reset the password on my iOS device and it's being rejected now!

Options
joanna
joanna
Community Member

Hello,
Long story.
1. My personal computer and iPad, which had 1Password installed, were stolen in a home burglary.
2. I have 1Password kind of working on my work computer, thank god, but it's not syncing. Right now that's a good thing because:
3. After this happened I used my phone to change my password, but now the password I thought I used isn't working. This means I can only use 1P on my work computer, using my old password. For a while Face ID was working on my phone, but now it's prompted me for the password and neither one is working.

I am using Dropbox to sync passwords, I think. I purchased the software on 7/30/2018. Would greatly appreciate any help! The stolen devices are set to erase when they hit a network. But I need to access 1P on my phone!

1Password Version: can't find out
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.2.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Reset the password on iOS, and now it's being rejected!

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @joanna

I'm sorry to hear about the theft of your devices and the ordeal you're going through. I'd be happy to help with the situation with 1Password. At this point I'd recommend:

1. Disable syncing of 1Password on your work computer entirely
    2. Delete the 1Password app from your iPhone
    3. Make a backup of any 1Password files in Dropbox and then move them to the Trash
    4. (Optional) Change your 1Password Master Password in 1Password on your work computer, being sure to note the new password to avoid being locked out entirely. I'd recommend extreme caution if you decide to do this, as if you forget the new Master Password you'll be unable to access your 1Password data. You may wish to temporarily export an unencrypted copy of your data to a USB drive (File > Export > All Items > save the export in 1PIF format).
    5. Set up syncing with Dropbox on the work computer: Sync your 1Password data
    6. Install 1Password for iOS on your iPhone and establish syncing with Dropbox: 1Password for iOS on the App Store (you may need to scroll down on the welcome screen to see the Dropbox option)

If you exported your data to a 1PIF please be sure to erase that file once everything is working as expected. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• joanna
    joanna
    Community Member
    Options

I'm confused, if I delete the 1Password files in Dropbox, what vault is it going to use? I did export the 1PIF file. Is there a way to reimport it into the phone and./or the work computer? I'm concerned that what's in the vault is the new password that I don't have, but what's on my work computer, unsynced, is the older one that I know.

• Ben
    Options

@joanna

What is in Dropbox is just a sync file. Deleting it will not affect your ability to access your 1Password data on the work computer, as illustrated by the fact that we turned off syncing entirely in step 1. With syncing disabled 1Password isn't looking at the files in Dropbox at all.

Ben

• joanna
    joanna
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Thanks! I got this working again. Really appreciate your help!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joanna, on behalf of Ben, you are very welcome! I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.