To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What happens to my data when I cancel my plan to join a family plan?

jona_l
jona_l
Community Member

Hi,

my plan renews in three days. I would like to cancel it before this happens and join a family plan.
What happens to my data? Does it transfer? I got a lot of 2 Factor-Verification I dont want to lose.

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jona_l
    jona_l
    Community Member

Edit: The plan I want to join is currently also a "single plan" bought via the AppStore. Is it possible that the other person upgrades the membership to family so I can join?
    And if all of this works: How do we set it up so we dont share our passwords and everybody has its own vault? I've read that I have to join as a guest? Do I have any restrictions if we do it like that? Can I have multiple vaults for my own like I have right now in the single plan?
    And can the other person (who is the administrator of the account) look into my vault/ passwords?

• Hi @jona_l

I'd be happy to help with that.

What happens to my data? Does it transfer? I got a lot of 2 Factor-Verification I dont want to lose.

You would need to manually move your data from your current vaults to vaults in the new membership:

Move and copy items

Edit: The plan I want to join is currently also a "single plan" bought via the AppStore. Is it possible that the other person upgrades the membership to family so I can join?

It is, but they would have to switch to direct billing, which will require some coordination with our team at support@1password.com. The account owner would need to reach out about getting switched to direct billing from 3rd party billing.

And if all of this works: How do we set it up so we dont share our passwords and everybody has its own vault? I've read that I have to join as a guest? Do I have any restrictions if we do it like that?

Guests only get access to a single shared vault within a membership, so that likely isn't what you want. You should be invited as a family member, not a guest:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Each family member gets their own Private vault which nobody else can see.

Can I have multiple vaults for my own like I have right now in the single plan?

You can, but they are considered shared vaults, even if you are the only person they are shared with. Family Organizers can add themselves to any shared vault they desire, so there is a level of trust required in Family Organizers.

And can the other person (who is the administrator of the account) look into my vault/ passwords?

• The Private vault: no
    • Any other vaults: not by default, but they would have the ability to add themselves.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.