Logins vs Passwords?

Options
romad
romad
Community Member
edited December 2019 in iOS

This is really a general question for all versions of 1Password; I noticed it first on my iPhone though.

I found some of my logins are either duplicated or only under the Passwords category so I was curious as to the reasoning Agile used for two categories? I'm considering consolidating all the items in the latter category into the Logins one.

Edit: After looking again, it seems all the items in the Passwords category are from the 2011/12 timeframe so it may have to do with a 1Password version from back then.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad!

Everything generated by the 1Password password generator gets stored in the Passwords category, until it's connected to the relevant login. If you used the password generator multiple times for a certain login, it's possible that you might get a few additional random passwords in your Password category, which you can then clean up if you wish.

Other than this, some items have a password but not a username, so the Passwords category can still be useful (I can think of door codes, luggage codes etc).

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning, @ag_ana

Thank you for the explanation. I must have experimented with the generator back in 2011/12; haven't used it due to most places having very strict password formulations. I'll probably just delete the Passwords category entries.

As for things like door codes, I've used Secure Notes for them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, if you've already got a Login saved with a given password, you can safely delete any extra matching Password items. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.