Feature request: Always use Windows Hello when available [Planned]

BrantB
BrantB
Community Member
edited December 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi! I'm a big fan of the Windows Hello support in 1Password because a PIN or fingerprint scan is much faster than typing my master password. However, it's annoying that I have to click the "Unlock with Windows Hello" button every time it appears.

I'm assuming this extra step is necessary in the main 1Password app because you don't want to steal focus and allow menu interaction, but it doesn't seem necessary in the browser extension because the only user interactions there involve unlocking the vault anyway. It would be nice if the browser extension automatically opened the Windows Hello prompt if it was available.

Unnecessary illustration:

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @BrantB,

Thanks for requesting this.

Yes, we do plan to do this, it's something we wanted to do in the beginning but we wanted to make sure our support for Windows Hello is working at the core level first before we iterate on top of this. Since it is, we should be able to improve this in future updates.

• Noosh
    Noosh
    Community Member

Hey,

I'd like to reiterate this point, I just bought a surface laptop 3 coming from MacOS.

Windows Hello (once engaged) is just as fast as touchID but unfortunately the steps to get to windows hello makes it nearly as slow as typing my master password.

• Since it wasn't mentioned before, @Noosh, I do want to point out that Hello can be invoked simply by pressing Enter in the empty Master Password field. It's still an extra step, but if you're anything like me, the mere fact of not needing to touch your mouse is a time savings, so hopefully that's a bit better. :chuffed:

• Noosh
    Noosh
    Community Member

Thanks, this makes it much faster than using the mouse to click the Windows Hello logo!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Noosh,

Yes, it is much more convenient. :) Please let us know if you have other questions, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.