How to repair a Dropbox Sync with latest 1Pass 7 and latest iOS

Options
ralfstch
ralfstch
Community Member

First of all I purchased a onetime license for my iMac and MacBook Pro and the related iOS App.
Lately I wondered about a missing login on my iPhone in 1Password (v7.4.4) and also on my iPad and my MacBook Pro. So I performed several tests and the result was that the Dropbox sync was broken. The timestamp on the vault in Dropbox seemed to be ok and the vault file seemed to be the latest version, but all new objects since anyday in Sept 2019 were not shown on any partner device, only on the device where I created it. I tried to de- and reactivate the vaults (I have three of them: private, family and work) on all my devices but my iMac as starting point. I got no failure messages. All devices said, they synced some seconds before, but no success so far, the missing objects are still missing. For now I imported or reinstalled from backup files, to get all my objects on all devices back, but this is no solution for a working sync.

So what can I do, to reactivate a proper Dropbox sync on my Macs and iOS devices? I appreciate every help to fix this!

1Password Version: 7.4.2. Beta 0
Extension Version: 7.4.2. Beta 0
OS Version: 10.15.2 Beta (19C46a)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ralfstch

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty syncing with Dropbox. I'd suggest running through the steps in this guide:

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox

As mentioned in the guide:

We’re unable to troubleshoot issues with Dropbox beyond the scope of this article.

As such if that doesn't do it for you I'd have to recommend switching to a more reliable sync option:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ralfstch
    ralfstch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Much thanks for the list to work through, I really hope I can fix it and I'll give it a try on Friday because 1Password always has been my favorite.

I would have been switched to iCloud, but it's limited to the primary vault, so this no option. Your membership may be your favorite solution (it pops up twice on your linked troubleshooting Dropbox page) , but I already paid this version and to pay again on a monthly basis is not a real charming alternative. In fact it's disappointing. WLAN server sync is also limited.

I used and really appreciated your app since Version 2, but I'm not really excited, that 1Password is no longer committed to offer real choices, where to save the vault files. Maybe if this will be a permanent problem, I'm sorry to say, I would have to reconsider using 1Password in the future. This would be not a welcomed but a necessary alternative.

• Ben
    Options

I understand, and thank you for the kind words. If cost is the primary concern I'd recommend reaching out to our team at support@1password.com to see what we might be able to offer. I'm not in a position to make any specific commitments, but I really do think membership would be the better solution for you and would hate to see you struggle with or migrate away from a solution you appreciate based solely on the cost aspect without having had a conversation to see if there are ways in which we can help. :+1:

Ben

• ralfstch
    ralfstch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    Resetting the whole sync-process to Dropbox according to your troubleshooting page was successfull, so I think the main problem is solved,

And thanks for your offer, but if I had the choice I would prefer to sync my 1password data on my synology nas (unfortunately this is no option), second in line would be iCloud (but with several tresors) and then all other options. So no, it`s not mainly based on cost (as far as possible I try to avoid abos) but on choice where to save my data. If every software, that has data security on its mind has to create an own cloud-eco-system, so syncing would be smooth, I would rather return to copy data manually.

As long as 1Password gives me choices and the opportunity to buy a onetime licence, I can work with and maybe skip an upgrade, if it‘s not necessary for my workflow, I will stay a very content and loyal customer, because you are doing a great job so far! But If you cut it down to your own cloudservice and only abos, I will have to look for an alternative.

Wish you a blessed christmas time

Ralf

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @ralfstch. Membership is going to be the way forward. I'm glad to hear things are working now, though. If you have anything further please feel free to reach out to us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.