1Password X extension on Microsoft Edge Beta (aka Microsoft Chrome) on MacOS seizes up

So I've ditched Google Chrome because I much prefer Microsoft invading my privacy.

Anyway... Microsoft Edge Beta for MacOS is essentially Chrome underneath. I use 1Password X with it as a regular chrome extenison. I don't have it bridged with 1P7.

After awhile, and this has happened twice now, when I go to unlock 1PX it just sits in the password prompt and it either lags heavily or fails to register keystrokes for entering in the master password. The only solution is to remove the extension and reinstall which restores functionality.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1PX 1.17.0
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

And not too long after it has done it again. Practically unusable at this point. And I get it - I'm probably using an "unsupported" browser so YMMV etc.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @snappy! I know all about the new Chromium-based Edge. :)

I've got a couple questions for you to start. When you type in your Master Password and press enter, are you able to unlock 1Password X even though you can't see that anything is typing?

This may be a long shot, but I'm also curious if you're working from an external monitor or from your computer's primary display. There's a Chromium bug that has to do with lag in extensions with popups while using an external display. In that case, it may not look like you're able to type, but typing your Master Password and pressing enter would still work as you'd expect it to. A workaround is moving the Chrome window to your primary display. That should remove the lag completely.

Let me know what you find!

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn.

This may be a long shot, but I'm also curious if you're working from an external monitor or from your computer's primary display.

Very astute presumption!

I waited to reply to verify this since my dual-monitor setup is in my workplace. But you're right - the primary monitor unlocks fine but on the secondary the cursor doesn't move. This is a bizarre bug.

Anyway I can live with both solutions: typing even though it doesn't visually register or unlocking 1PX in the main display.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update! Hopefully the Chromium bug will be resolved soon so you don't even have to use the workaround ;)

This discussion has been closed.