New User finding 1Password to be a frustratingly finicky/glitchy experience

Options

Going through Vulnerable Passwords with Watchtower in the app. I click on Open & Fill and change the password. Once done 1Password prompts me to Save the entry into the app, great. I just click Save and away we go. I made no other changes EXCEPT the password upgrade. When I go back to the app after changing the password, the vulnerable entry is still there. If I click on All Items I can see that 1Password has created a new entry with a slightly different title(so instead of www.netflix.com/login it might now just be Netflix Canada or something of the like.) Why doesn't it overwrite it's own entry that I clicked on to update in the first place? Why create a new entry?!?

I'm also seeing quite frequently that when I update the password(and have two entries now) the new entry with the "fantastic" password no longer has the username/email associated with it. So if I click on the new entry to go to the website, the new password will be there but the username/email field is now blank. So now I have to go back to the app, Edit the entry and type in the username/email and Save. Why? I did NOT delete the field when I updated it. I simply changed the password(Use suggested password) and clicked Save. Very frustrating.

Sometimes when I go to a website that has 1password credentials I have to click ctrl-shift-x which then pops up the chrome extension and now I have to type in the master password. Why is this happening? Why isn't the 1password just appearing since it's saved in the app?

I really like having the super strong passwords and not having to worry about keeping track of them but I am not sure I will continue with this service past the trial if I can't get those questions sorted out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

***Note: I just checked the app before saving this post....every entry that I've updated is now not showing the username/email address for login credentials. JUST the password. Is this normal? Should it not save both the email/username AND the password?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ToddNS
    ToddNS
    Community Member
    Options

Finally figured it out! Gosh! :)

I don't see any option to delete posts so if a mod would like to remove the above post, that would be great.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ToddNS! Thanks for getting in touch about this.

Why doesn't it overwrite it's own entry that I clicked on to update in the first place? Why create a new entry?!?

The answer to that is: it should. Now, I have seen issues occur when there's no username field on the password change page since it's difficult to determine the account without a username to match up with. Netflix's password change form falls into that category. We're working on improving this behavior down the road, though. Luckily, you can click on Save New Login to open a dropdown menu. From there, selecting Update Saved Login will cause your existing item to update rather than saving a brand new one.

I'm also seeing quite frequently that when I update the password(and have two entries now) the new entry with the "fantastic" password no longer has the username/email associated with it.

Ah – this actually has a lot to do with the first point. When a password change page doesn't include a username and you save it as a brand new item, you're really only saving the password. Doing what I suggested and selecting Update Saved Login rather than Save New Login will resolve this as well.

Sometimes when I go to a website that has 1password credentials I have to click ctrl-shift-x which then pops up the chrome extension and now I have to type in the master password. Why is this happening? Why isn't the 1password just appearing since it's saved in the app?

I'm happy to clarify this! 1Password X and 1Password for Windows don't actually communicate with each other (for now, that is). That's why they need to be unlocked separately. We're testing out the capability of 1Password X and the 1Password desktop app communicating on macOS, and I'd expect us to move onto Windows once we've got that all sorted.

***Note: I just checked the app before saving this post....every entry that I've updated is now not showing the username/email address for login credentials. JUST the password. Is this normal? Should it not save both the email/username AND the password?

Could you let me know some of the URLs for these sites? Like I mentioned, we're working on improving the behavior when saving a new Login on a password change form where the username doesn't exist. It'd be nice to know the sites you're having trouble with so we can work on improving the experience across the board.

I also want to make sure that you're saving Logins when you sign into websites and not only in the password change form. That'll make it so all of your details are stored rather than only what's inside the password change form. We've got a great guide to getting started with 1Password X along with a video here.

I hope that helps a bit! Please send any follow up questions my way. :chuffed:

• ToddNS
    ToddNS
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn thank you so much for all the advice. It was very helpful.
    Just a couple of things. Is there a known issue with 1Password auto generating passwords that have been auto generated before? I just changed my fanatical.com login using the "use suggested password" and the entry went from being vulnerable to now being a "reused password".
    Also, should I switch over to 1Password X? I was just reading about it and it sounds great.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ToddNS:

Is there a known issue with 1Password auto generating passwords that have been auto generated before? I just changed my fanatical.com login using the "use suggested password" and the entry went from being vulnerable to now being a "reused password".

This is not a known issue, but there is one way where this could happen: if you generate a random password, and then you use that password to create a Login item, it would flag it as duplicate password if you left the original password saved as well. In this case, do you perhaps have both a Login item, and a Password item stored inside your 1Password?

Also, should I switch over to 1Password X? I was just reading about it and it sounds great.

That is up to you, but you can certainly give it a try and see how you like it :)

• ToddNS
    ToddNS
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,
    Is there a simple process to switch from one to the other? If I uninstall the desktop app first will I lose all of the info? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ToddNS:

If you already have a 1Password Membership, you can just install 1Password X. It doesn't communicate with the desktop app that you are using, so you could also keep both while you decide which one to use, if you prefer.

This discussion has been closed.