To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

2nd Factor Authentication doesn't allow Security Key ?

cbphoto
cbphoto
Community Member

I just got a Yubikey and would like to set it up for 2FA but on my account website I cannot find the setting for me to set it up. If I go to My Profiles -> More Actions -> Manage Two-Factor Authentication, I can only see instructions to set up for Auth. App, but not a Security Key?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:security key

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

If I remember correctly, U2F only works on web right now, so you have to setup a traditional TOTP as well otherwise you wouldn't be able to login to mobile or desktop applications.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Hi @cbphoto! Welcome to the forum!

pittn is correct: you need to enable 2FA TOTP first before you can add a security key to your 1Password account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Also covered in the support guide for this:

Use your U2F security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

:) :+1:

• cbphoto
    cbphoto
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your help!

• On behalf of the folks above, you're most welcome. :)

Ben

• 73davidguitard
    73davidguitard
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Does Yubikey 5 NFC supposed to wave any Browser apps not 1password app?
    Because its designed secret key for encrypted data load from website with ssl that secure more that is true?

-- Huawei P30 Pro, EMUI Android 9.1.0

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@73davidguitard:

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? I am not sure I understand your questions.

• 73davidguitard
    73davidguitard
    Community Member

I bought Yubikey 5 NFC.
    On 1password app does not work with NFC.

Only worked on google chrome browser also worked with other browsers.

Do you know what is FIDO2 passwordless yubikey?
    It will not work on any browsers. Only work with desktop and tablets.

That is true?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@73davidguitard:

Thank you for the clarification. Yubikeys currently work just on 1Password.com (the website), but not in the apps (unless you have a Yubikey 5Ci that works on iOS).

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

I see a few statements re the use of a security key in 1Password

On 1password app does not work with NFC.

and

It will not work on any browsers. Only work with desktop and tablets.

and

Yubikeys currently work just on 1Password.com (the website),

Can someone clarify here ie what are the implications for an Android phone with 1Password and the Yubikey 5 NFC?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm - if you have an Android device, then I have some good news for you: version 7.4.BETA-6, just released today, allows NFC security keys during second factor authentication for 1Password accounts! :) If you're not sure about running beta software, you're welcome to wait for the stable version to include this feature, but if you're feeling adventurous, go ahead and join us on the edge -- and let us know how it goes for you.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply @Lars. As one who is risk averse I will wait for the stable version. And I guess until then I will only apply the the security key for 2FA on my laptops (with the PIN/fingerprint serving as security for one's phone...is that the idea right now?)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm - that should be fine for the present, yes. :) The stable version containing the NFC capability should be out before too long (though I have no idea in terms of a specific timeline).

This discussion has been closed.