Feature Request: Device category - it can improve the quality of life

Options
EKA
EKA
Community Member

A “Device” category would be excellent to have. Fields could include model, serial number, MAC address, current software version, account associated with the device, hardware specs, purchase date, etc

Scenario 1: I’m at work and a zero-day comes out for some routers my ISP uses. Instead of calling home and walking my teenager through the steps to see the firmware version on the router configuration page, I just look up what I have recorded for my router’s “Device” record in 1Password. Either way I’m going to ruin my kid’s day when I tell them to pull the plug on the router, but with a 1Password “Device” category it is ruined in such an efficient and less painful way!!

Scenario 2: Feeling bad about ruining my teenager’s day, I think it’s about time to do a hardware refresh on our kids’ phones. I can see the whole family’s phone specs on my cellular service provider account page, but I don’t know which kid has which phone. Good thing I have each phone’s specs and owner recorded as “Device” records in 1Password!! Now, the kids won’t have to know something’s up when I’m poking around their phones for device info. Instead, they will be pleasantly surprised when I come home with a brand new phone for myself and they get an “upgrade” through the trickle-down effect. (what?! you thought I’d buy each kid a new phone?! I believe here is where I say “LOL“)

Scenario 3: I find out that I can hack my wireless-enabled toaster to burn cool designs in my toast, but in only works with my model of toaster with a particular series of serial numbers. Since my kids were bored the day they didn’t have internet, and still irritated about getting a hand-me-down phone, they decided to try to see if they could cook their mini pizzas in the toaster. It didn’t go well and the toaster’s serial number, along with a good portion of the toaster’s bottom, melted a bit. Thank goodness I had my toaster’s serial number recorded in a “Device” record in 1Password!! Now, with a newly hacked toaster, I can start burning cool little keyhole designs in my toast! Thanks 1Password!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EKA: Thanks for reaching out! We have no plans to create a bunch of new categories, as there are many which get requested, and it's not feasible for us to create a new one for each, across all 7 apps -- and not everyone wants the same thing anyway. Those are good examples though. Love the craftiness you're putting into being an awesome parent! ;) You could actually use Secure Notes to catalog that information. If you tag items as "device" that will also make them easy to find -- and that will appear in the sidebar in the desktop apps, similar to categories. Let me know what you think. :)

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

This discussion has been closed.