Is there anyway to PASTE an image attachment into 1Password? Without creating a file for it first?

varenc
varenc
Community Member

It seems like the only way to get an image attachment into 1Password is to drag a file into the attachment area, or click "choose file..." and select it. Both of those options require creating an image file somewhere on my computer. Is there any way to avoid that step?

For context: I often take screenshots of sensitive things I'd like to save in 1P. I use the ⌘+Shift+Ctrl+4 shortcut which copies my screenshot selection directly into my pasteboard. After doing this I'd love to be able to skip creating a file and just paste sensitive images directly into 1Password. When you're storing an image attachment in 1Password, it seems clear that that means you explicitly don't want it on the filesystem!

You CAN paste images into 1Password directly when you're editing an item's image icon...but not when adding attachments. So it's definitely pretty feasible.

So is there any way to paste images into attachments? If not, it would be very nice!

(The two points below are digressions, so I hide them in spoilers. Feel free to ignore them)

• Requiring that you create an image file on your filesystem just to put it in 1P does slightly increase the security risks. You might accidentally create the file in an area readable by other accounts on my computer. (like "/tmp" is bad if other users can ssh in). You also might do something really silly like put it in a shared Dropbox folder....of course these mistakes are easy to avoid and ideally you'd delete the file as soon as it's in 1Password, but would be great to avoid this whole shuffle.

• A technical hurdle could be that right now 1Password seems to require a file name for each attachment, and an image in the pasteboard doesn't have that. But just giving any pasted image the filename "image1." would be a perfectly fine solution I think

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox sync (1P for Mac license)

Comments

• Hi @varenc

There isn't currently a way to create an attachment from the clipboard, but I can see how that could be handy. Something we can consider for the future. Thanks for taking the time to share the thought. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.