To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Brain fade - syncing and membership

Options
statto1927
statto1927
Community Member

I think I'm having a senior moment here, and would appreciate some advice.
I currently have an Individual Membership plan and am running 1P7 v7.3.2 on my iMac. I also have the latest version of the apps installed on my iPhone and iPad. Finally, I have an old (2009) MacBook Pro running OSX El Capitan (the newest OS it will run) and 1P v 6.8.9 (the latest version that can be run on El Capitan.

Since I started using 1P years ago, I've always synced my vaults via Dropbox, but since Dropbox have now restricted the number of devices I can have Dropbox on (to 3 - something I didn't know about until my iMac recently got vaped during an upgrade) one of my devices will have to go without Dropbox - realistically that means losing it off the MacBook - but if I can't use Dropbox, it makes using 1P problematic as I can't sync the vault.

Question 1
Does 1P membership mean that (MacBook Pro aside) I don't actually need to physically sync the vault any more using Dropbox (or any other "cloud" service such as iCloud between my iMac, iPhone and iPad because it's all done by you clever people?

Question 2)
What's the best alternative for my ageing (but still very functional) MacBook Pro that's been running 1P6 that will enable me to keep running 1P and be able to keep it in sync with my vault?

Hope that all makes sense!

Simon

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

To answer question 1: yup, that's correct, you wouldn't need to manually keep anything in sync.

Question 2: there's nothing super clean that can be done as far as I understand it, but what you could do (assuming that the vault formats are compatible) is create a second local vault on one of your other devices, copy everything you need from your account synced vault every so often, and use that local vault to sync with your Macbook Pro.

• Hi @statto1927

Welcome to the forums.

With a membership, you would not need to sync your devices manually. It's all done in the background. I have not looked back since moving to a subscription years ago. I think you will enjoy it, and that lack of manual configuration is simply the best. As to your Mac running 1Password 6, it can still sync with a membership, if it can run version 6.6. 1Password requirements.

From a security standpoint, I would recommend that this machine be your first upgrade as soon as possible. Additionally, 1Password 6 has officially been discontinued. Here is the latest information regarding 1Password 6 legacy support.

If you should happen to have any additional questions, always feel free to ask.

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member
    Options

Cool....thanks
    I’ve had membership for a while, but hadn’t clearly understood that I didn’t need to sync via (in my case), Dropbox.

Happy with that.

Unlikely to be upgrading the MacBook Pro soon as it still works as well as it did in 2009 (escpacially after I upgraded it with a SSD and upped the RAM. Simply can’t afford a newer Apple laptop. Will think about how I can work around this dilemma.

Thanks again

Simon

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@statto1927 - to reinforce what ag_tommy said above, as long as your older Mac can run OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite") or later, you should be good. 1password.com accounts require version 6.6 or later of 1Password for Mac, and version 6 requires Yosemite or later. Version 7 requires at least macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”).

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks gents, that’s put my mind at rest and I’ve tested too and all is good without Dropbox as I’m running 1P 6.8.9 and El Capitan (10.11.6)

Now to ditch Dropbox for iCloud for my other files...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@statto1927 - you're quite welcome! Glad we were able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.