Forgotten my Master Password

Options
mmunyao
mmunyao
Community Member

Hello,

Last night I changed my Master Password on my Macbook Air. This morning I woke up and couldn't remember it. Please help me either recover it or reset it. I use the same account in my iPhone but my iPhone has Touch ID for 1Password which I use so no problem with the phone. However, I still need to use 1Password on my laptop which is my main work station.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mmunyao - whether you have a 1password.com membership/account or use 1Password in standalone mode, we never know your Master Password and therefore can't "reset" it for you. You also cannot change your Master Password without entering the current one. If you did this just last night and therefore haven't added or changed a significant amount of your 1Password data since then, perhaps the best option would be to restore from the backup that's most-recently prior to when you changed the Master Password. Older backups will use your old Master Password, and you may be able to regain access to the data that way. Let me know how that works for you.

• mmunyao
    mmunyao
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Thank you very much for your help. I have been able to restore my 1P standalone from backup and now are able to access it. Again, thanks a lot!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mmunyao - you're quite welcome! Glad I could help. :) If you decide to change your Master Password again, make sure you write it down somewhere on paper, at least for a little while, until it becomes so ingrained in your memory that you won't be at risk of forgetting it.

• mmunyao
    mmunyao
    Community Member
    Options

Copied!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.