If I try to open Chrome, message says, "1Password has crashed. Click on this balloon." Doesn't work

Options

When I try to open Chrome, I get a message that says, "1Password has crashed. Click on this balloon." If I click on the balloon, the message just reappears over and over. I have sent a diagnostics report, but have received no response as yet. I also uninstalled both Chrome and 1Password, then reinstalled Chrome. Same message came up even with 1Password uninstalled. I cannot reinstall the extension because Chrome will not open. I desperately need to resolve this issue ASAP. Help please.

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @wtripp! I'm really sorry you're running into such a persistent error. It's honestly not something I've seen before, so I'm curious to learn more. You wrote this post in the 1Password X category of our forum, but I don't see that you included any version numbers in your original post. I'm wondering what version of both Chrome and 1Password X you're using. Let me know!

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

Latest version of both. 1Password is 7.3.712. Chrome is 78.0.3904.108 or whatever the latest version is. I uninstalled and reinstalled both this morning.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, this apparently is not an entirely new issue. I saw some discussions of it on the support pages from several years ago. However, the resolutions were unclear or not posted.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wtripp – Do you have 1Password X installed as well? Version 7.3.712 is 1Password for Windows, but 1Password X is a browser extension. In addition to that, could you post a screenshot of the error? That may help me figure out where it's coming from (1Password X or 1Password for Windows).

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. At least I did until yesterday. I cannot even open Chrome at all now. So I am uncertain what the status bar looks like right now.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

To be clear, it was 1PasswordX

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

I tried reinstalling Chrome and then to install the 1Password X extension, but I cannot open Chrome at all. I only get a page with the Aw Snap message and the message balloon I described. That happens any time I try to open Chrome. I am using Edge right now to communicate with you, but I need to use Chrome and am unwilling to just switch over. TMI, I expect, but context helps sometimes.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I have submitted a diagnostics report.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wtripp – Thanks for the additional info. I've been doing some research, and I came up with some troubleshooting steps for you to try. Could you give the instructions a try in this post on Google's forum? Let me know if you're able to open Chrome after that.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

I can't, but I am not sure that I fully understood the instructions and inserted the correct verbiage. The CLS acronym did not register with me, and I was a little uncertain about the space that was referred to in the instructions. Would/could you please send me the exact phrase to insert so that I can copy and paste it? Thanks for your patience.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

I also got a message that I need to provide administrator authorization on my second try just now. However, when I clicked continue, the request seemed to go through, but... it did not work.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

So I get the feeling that you may not have any other options for me. Or can I expect another reply at some point later today or tomorrow perhaps? Thanks for what you have done already and any other help you might be able to provide. This is a mystery and a problem that I cannot seem to figure out. Everything that normally works has no effect on this situation.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wtripp – The text that post I linked asks you to copy is:

--disable-extensions

(including the space before the dash)

Is that what you copied?

Another question that was asked in this thread is:

Do you have any of the following programs installed?

• Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)
    • PC Matic
    • Print Audit
    • Palo Alto Traps

When you try to open Chrome now, what do you see? You mentioned you weren't able to open it at all so you couldn't grab a screenshot, but I'm curious what the opening (or lack thereof) process is like.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to be slow in responding, I was rebooting trying to see if that might work. To answer your questions, I copied and pasted the phrase the second time I tried, so it should have had the space.

I may have misspoken in that I do get a Chrome page that looks like the normal Chrome page with the Aw, snap comment, a reload icon, and a learn more dialogue box. I will email a screen shot to you, as I get a message that the file format I saved it in is not allowed. I tried copying the url but don't think that worked.

While waiting for a response, I did learn that if I click on the Chrome icon and run the trouble shooting program, I can get the normal Chrome opening web page. Using that I removed the 1Password X extension. However, I still cannot open Chrome by clicking on the icon as I ordinarily would. I get the same page I just describe and oddly still get the note about 1Password X has crashed, click on the balloon, and can only repeat the process over and over from there.

I do have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on my machine. The university requires it. However, I can remove it and see what happens, I suppose, if you think it might help.

Again thanks for your patience.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wtripp – Ah – Symantec seemed to be a trend in the thread over on Chrome's forum as well. It ended with someone sharing this link to a report on Symantec's site. There's a command under the Solution section in the report that may help, but uninstalling Symantec should also work, at least temporarily, so we know whether that program is to blame or not.

• wtripp
    wtripp
    Community Member
    Options

I did uninstall Symantec it to see if that might help. It apparently did. I was able to load Chrome normally after its removal.

I did follow a suggestion from Nhat Nguyen, who had replied to an email I sent this morning. He had suggested that I establish a new Google account and use it to add the 1 Password X extension to that account. That seemed to work too. I was able to add the 1Password Extension successfully. So I appear to be okay for now, although I am not sure which change was the one that did the trick.

For what it is worth, I have also reinstalled Symantec Endpoint Protection because we are required to use it, as I noted, and Chrome still appears to work fine in both accounts.

Thank you again for your help and your patience. Fingers crossed that the program remains stable. At least I have a possible remedy at hand if it does go south on me again.

Wayne

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's awesome, @wtripp! I do believe a new profile would have worked, but I'm not sure if that would have resolved the issue on your existing profile. I'm really happy that you were able to reinstall Symantec as well. If it does creep up again, you know where to find us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.