Question How to code a Javascript login form to trigger 1Password

aljungberg
aljungberg
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
We are writing a pure JavaScript application. Login happens through custom UI widgets.

I have been able to coax 1Password into filling out a hidden iframe with 'username' and 'password' labeled input boxes. This data can then be read by the JavaScript app to do the actual login when the hidden submit button is pushed. So auto filling with 1Password works.

However, for some reason 1Password never offers to remember the login and password in the first place, even when the hidden form is filled out and the submit button is programmatically clicked.

What does 1Password react on exactly before offering to save a password? I noticed that it didn't seem to react when I signed in to this forum either so I guess the conditions are fairly specific.

Thanks,
Alexander Ljungberg

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Maybe totally different, and I'm not questioning your reasons/motives, but what you're trying to do sure sounds (to me) similar to this autocomplete exploit:

Vendor inaction leads researcher to disclose Safari, IE flaw

Grossman says attackers can simply create a page with hidden form fields that use JavaScript to enter letters and numbers into each field until it finds one that's a hit, and the browser autocompletes it.
  • aljungberg
    aljungberg
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The exploit you are describing is a way to make the browser fill in forms you didn't intend to or even in secret with data from your address book. Since 1Password only fills out forms when you ask it to that exploit is not applicable with 1Password.

Either way it's not related to what I'm asking. I'm asking how to get 1Password to remember something, not to give something up.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    aljungberg wrote:
    The exploit you are describing …

Not my description, just quoted it. :)

Since 1Password only fills out forms when you ask it to that exploit is not applicable with 1Password.

Thought that was the case.

I'm asking how to get 1Password to remember something, not to give something up.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense to me now.
This discussion has been closed.