Fill login keyboard shortcut and another new user questions

Hi- I'm brand new to 1Password. I've been using LastPass for the past several years and have decided to give 1Password a shot. I have a few questions. For reference, I am using macOS Mojave and Firefox.

1. When I went through the guides and YouTube videos on how to use 1Password, it said to use Cmd+\ to fill login. This does not work, and I cannot see anywhere in in the 1Password X settings to configure keyboard shortcuts.
  2. What am I meant to use with Firefox, 1Password X or the extension for the 1Password app? I find this very confusing.
  3. Is there a keyboard shortcut to fill forms with specific data / credit cards? In LastPass I can select a default profile (name, address, credit card, etc.) and then use a keyboard shortcut to fill a form with that information. Is there not a similar feature and keyboard shortcut?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

So 1Password X can run completely independently of 1Password on the desktop and doesn't integrate with the desktop app at all (pending the new desktop app integration available in beta but that's not the point).

The 1Password extension for Firefox appears to be only available to download from Agilebits (here). 1Password X however exists as a connection straight to your 1Password account, rather than connecting to the desktop application.

They do different things somewhat, but I prefer 1Password X to the desktop connecting extension. On new sites, X will suggest passwords automatically, supports autofilling on multi-step sites (Google login for example).

The keyboard shortcut to pop up X is probably going to be cmd+shift+x.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @kalleskaviar! Thanks for asking. @plttn is pretty much spot on (thank you for that, @plttn), but I'll add my thoughts as well.

When I went through the guides and YouTube videos on how to use 1Password, it said to use Cmd+\ to fill login. This does not work, and I cannot see anywhere in in the 1Password X settings to configure keyboard shortcuts.

Command-\ is the keyboard shortcut for the desktop-dependent 1Password extension rather than 1Password X. 1Password X will act a bit differently. With that, the keyboard shortcut differs as well. Command-. is the default keyboard shortcut to open the 1Password X pop-up in Firefox.

What am I meant to use with Firefox, 1Password X or the extension for the 1Password app? I find this very confusing.

I can see how that could be confusing. We currently offer two different extensions, and as of right now, it's based on personal preference. To learn more about 1Password X specifically, check out this article. I'd highly recommend 1Password X myself, so I suggest giving that a try first.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to fill forms with specific data / credit cards? In LastPass I can select a default profile (name, address, credit card, etc.) and then use a keyboard shortcut to fill a form with that information. Is there not a similar feature and keyboard shortcut?

1Password X offers an inline menu directly underneath fillable fields. Inside that inline menu, you'll be able to see the Logins, Credit Cards, or Identities you have saved depending on what should be filled. You can use the down arrow key to select your item, then press enter to fill. The article I linked above contains a video that demonstrates how 1Password X saves and fills. If you have questions after watching that, please do let me know and I'd be happy to answer them for you!

This discussion has been closed.