Cannot log in to Mac App with new Secret Key

Options
rushtone
rushtone
Community Member

A family member on my Family Plan has had trouble logging in. So we recovered her account and got a new Emergency Kit. She's logged into her account on the web (1password.com) and on her phone, but cannot log in on her Mac, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
The Mac App seems to be still tied to her old secret key, and it won't let us delete the existing account in the Mac app, nor will it let us add a new one (the + is grayed out). What do we do now?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

@rushtone

It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation as you have access to some of the devices. A few things to try regarding removal, verify the 1Password Mac app is unlocked. If it's locked, it will prohibit you from removing the account, just as you describe. Make sure the device has an active internet connection and complete the recovery process as described below.

Review the steps for Recovery, and complete the recovery process, if you haven't already done so. If you still need the nuclear option starting over should solve the issue. Be aware any items not previously communicated to the servers will be lost. I would try the first options more than a few times if you're unsure.

edit: With communication happening automatically, the likely hood of changes not being sent to the servers is small. However it's still a remote possibility. Hence, my warning.

• rushtone
    rushtone
    Community Member
    Options

We've done the recovery already. We just tried the "nuclear option" and quickly got things working again. Thanks!

• @rushtone

I am glad I was able to help. Take care, and if you need further assistance, please reach out.

This discussion has been closed.