Merge accounts that are out of sync

Options

I have been a happy user of 1password for the greater portion of 10-years. I have a bit of an issue however that I have been ignoring but is time for me to address.

I should have a single vault that is shared via dropbox on multiple devices and OSs. However overtime these have no longer become synced via dropbox and I am not able to get them back together. When they went out of sync is something I discovered overtime, not a single event... I have to check every device now and make sure it is linked to the dropbox for syncing...

• I think the core of the issue is that in my dropbox I have a two files one called "1Password.legacyagilekeychain" and the other "1Password.opvault".
  • On the iOS versions of the devices (multiple macs, iphone etc.) they seem to sync alright with the dropbox. I have to double check that on myriad devices. However the Windows I use at work won't let me use a "legacy" file so I can't open the vault to merge the two...I think...

Any idea how I can merge all the various accounts onto a single dropbox vault file?

Thanks in advance,
NLUser

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• None of the apps can sync to that legacy file, @NLuser, so that's unlikely to be the cause. That file is kept around just in case anything goes wrong during the process of converting to OPVault, but it is purposefully renamed to something no 1Password app will recognize as a vault precisely so you don't convert on one machine and end up with others syncing to an old file. You mentioned quite a few devices you have in the mix – any chance you're using more than 3 with a free Dropbox account and one or more is getting disconnected from time to time? In theory, Dropbox should tell you if it's disconnecting a given device, but as they say – trust, but verify. :wink: Alternatively, might one or more devices simply not be connected to Dropbox at all? If you can share a list of OSes and 1Password versions, I can point you towards where you can find your sync path on each to rule that out. :+1:

As for merging, Dropbox will attempt to merge your data together keeping the most recent version of everything, but there is always a chance it will make a bad call so my general recommendation is only to do that if your datasets are fairly close to be identical. If they've got way out of sync, it's sometimes better to take the time to tidy up manually, or pick the closest to perfect set of data to use and save the others locally on a single device so that you can sub out items from them as needed. In short, there are options, but knowing the root cause of the issue first is best so we can make sure it doesn't reoccur and knowing more about your setup across the board and how off the devices are from eachother will help make the best choice to get things back on track. :chuffed:

• NLuser
    NLuser
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Bundtkate,

Thanks for this. This is funny though, because the only files I see in the dropbox are the:

"1Password.legacyagilekeychain" and the other "1Password.opvault" and ".ws.agile.1Password.settings".

• When I try to "open a vault" on my windows version via dropbox there are no actual files to select.
    • At the same time on my iphone is listed under "settings"--> "Vaults"--> "On dropbox 'Primary'" as the vault. It also syncs in real-time when I click "sync now", so there is a file there it is syncing with...

Any thoughts on what the iphone is actually syncing to then?

Any help is welcome. In eithercase I may work to create a single beautifully managed vault manually and then copy this to the other computers via dropbox. Essentially starting a new and then creating a new sync. Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly/

Thanks,
    Jared

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NLuser,

Most likely, 1Password on your iPhone is synced to your .opvault vault folder in Dropbox: 1Password.opvault. Do you have one device, where you can see all of your data in 1Password now? Please let us know.

If you want to avoid the confusion with different local vaults in the future, I would recommend you to start using 1Password account and migrate your data. You can learn more about the benefits of 1Password membership account here:

## About 1Password membership

Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.