Firefox Extension Just Stopped Working

Options

I'm not sure how much detail I can give, but the Firefox extension just stopped working. Right-click menus on boxes no longer include the "1Password" option:

Clicking the actual 1Password logo in the Extensions bar just brings up a blank window with the "Extensions" puzzle-piece icon:

I uninstalled the Extension, reinstalled it, closed/restarted Firefox, and nothing works.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @robbecom8888 – welcome to the forum! I'm sorry about the trouble with 1Password X. While in private browsing mode, Firefox prevents extensions from accessing the local database, which 1Password X relies on in order to function properly. Unfortunately, this currently results in a blank page when trying to open the extension. So far, we’ve seen this behavior when either of the following preferences are set in Firefox:

• Never remember history
    • Always use private browsing mode

Disabling either of those preferences should allow 1Password X to function as expected. Would you mind double checking if you have those settings enabled? Let me know what you find!

• robbecom8888
    robbecom8888
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not using private browsing, and neither of those options are enabled. The extension still does not work.

• Hey @robbecom8888, I'm sorry that wasn't the issue here. We've seen some reports of issues with the latest Firefox release and 1Password X, but that has been primarily Linux users and maybe a couple Mac users. Still, I wonder if that might be the same issue here. There are two things I'd like you to try.

First, in case something has become corrupted with your Firefox profile, I'd like you to try creating a new one and installing only 1Password X in it, to see if it works there.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox/Multiple_profiles

If that doesn't work, then running with my earlier hunch, I'd like to see if this issue is resolved in the latest beta of Firefox, which is an early release of version 72. You can grab that here, if you're willing to try it:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/

Let us know if either of these things helps. And happy holidays! :smile:

• spmcc123
    spmcc123
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue starting December 2019 and continuing till now. 1 Password worked fine with Private Browsing and Never Remember History (the way most people should be browsing) until December. Using Firefox 71.0 on Mac OS 10.14.6, 1Password 7.4.1 with family membership. Also, Password Generator no longer comes up on control-click in a password box, in either Firefox or Chrome. Also, the Support Page is totally wacked out. Keeps asking me to login, then cycling me back to the home page, not logged in....

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @spmcc123! Thanks for chiming in. So, you're seeing the blank page every time you click the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar as well? Does the same issue occur without Private Browsing/Never Remember History enabled?

I'm curious about the control-click issue you mentioned. I don't recall being able to do that with 1Password X in the past. What option did you select after control-clicking, or did the password generator appear as soon as you control-clicked inside a password box?

For the support page, are you referring to our support forum? I haven't noticed any issues myself. Are you still experiencing the same type of thing where you're being sent in a loop without actually getting signed in? Let me know!

• spmcc123
    spmcc123
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I restarted Firefox without Private Browsing and with Remember History enabled (though previously this made no difference and a browser SHOULD be set to forget history...). Control clicking the 1Password icon in the toolbar does nothing. Control clicking on a password box brings up a menu with "Show 1Password" and selecting this does not deliver anything. Up until several months ago, 1Password clearly included a password generator, with a range of options for selecting a website appropriate set of letters, numbers and symbols. This appears to have disappeared from 1Password entirely (not available from control click and not available on the main app...). As for the Support function.... that is a different frustration

• spmcc123
    spmcc123
    Community Member
    Options

My mistake. In the main app, if I choose to edit an entry, the password generate gear icon appears, and I can generate a new password. I used to be able to do this when setting a password for a new account, or when changing a password, by control-clicking in the appropriate box on the webpage

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spmcc123:

What version of the 1Password browser extension are you currently using? In your fist post you wrote browser version, macOS version and 1Password app version, but I wonder now if you are really using 1Password X like the original poster, or perhaps the companion extension instead.

This discussion has been closed.