Requiring separate passwords for secondary vaults

Options
cferdinandi
cferdinandi
Community Member

I know by default 1Password unlocks all secondary vaults when the master vault password is entered because... it's called 1Password, but...

Is there a way to specify that a secondary vault shouldn't be unlocked with the master vault password? I know this has been asked in the past, but I haven't seen any recent answers specific to v7.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @cferdinandi

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no change in this behavior. I am running 1Password 7, and all my vaults unlock with my Master Password. However, I am not a heavy secondary vault user, and my system has been set up for a long time now. Maybe @Lars can chime in and shed some light on the subject?

• cferdinandi
    cferdinandi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy.

A related question, and possible workaround: I know you can add multiple accounts to 1Password. The documentation here implies that you can unlock all of them with a single password. Is there a way to change that behavior so that each account requires its own password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cferdinandi - the behavior hasn't changed as in 1Password 7 for Mac. However, there's a difference between 1Password accounts and standalone vaults in many ways, and locking/unlocking is certainly one of them. To be clear, in both cases, you unlock all of your data with just the one Master Password, but how it works specifically varies:

• If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

In standalone 1Password, when you create new vaults, you must give each new secondary vault its own vault password, but only one of them - the Primary vault that was the first vault you created - will also unlock your local 1Password for Mac app. There's no way to require that secondary standalone vaults be opened with different passwords, or that some secondary vaults not be unlocked when you enter your Master Password.

With multiple 1Password accounts, each account you create or are invited to join requires that you create a Master Password. You can use the same Master Password for multiple accounts, if you wish, but you can also make them unique. Either way, your local 1Password app unlocks with the Master Password of the first account you add to it. Any subsequent 1Password accounts you add to the app still have their own Master Passwords that must be entered (along with the Secret Key, which is also required) when you access them for the first time on a new device. But adding a second (third, fourth, etc) account to an existing 1Password for Mac setup that already has one 1password.com account doesn't allow or require you to use the different Master Passwords each time you unlock. Hope that's helpful, but feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

• sjordi
    sjordi
    Community Member
    Options

Well that's too bad.
    Then there is no sense to have separate vaults if a unique "master" password unlocks them all.
    You could need one for System passwords, one for Databases passwords, one for Web accounts passwords and you definitely want each ones to have a separate password for very basic safety reasons.
    I speak in the context of the real app (the standalone), not the portals (web).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjordi:

I understand that this would be useful to you, so I am sorry that I cannot give you a better answer about this.

This discussion has been closed.