Removing Duplicate Records

Options
bwofford
bwofford
Community Member

Much to my regret, I recently gave in to the marketing push for a subscription-based 1Password.com account. Prior to this I was using version 6 of the standalone product, using Dropbox as my sync source. I must also mention I've lost count of how many family members and friends that I've encouraged to use 1Password, as I've been a customer for well over a decade!

At some point, the Dropbox syncing function ceased, which I only discovered after upgrading to the subscription account and using version 7 of the application. Hence there were two separate sources of live data. Since speaking with a support person is not possible, the only recourse that occurred to me was to import the records from Dropbox and then eliminate duplicates. My expectation (or hope) was that date stamping would resolve any duplications.

Naturally I attempted using the “Clean Up Duplicate Items” tool but I am not confident that it can determine which record to keep. I would have thought the record’s timestamp would reflect only the last time the record was saved but that appears not to be the case. Thus my only option now is to look through my nearly 1,600 records one by one to do this manually.

One of the podcasts that I listen to was my source for learning about 1Password all that many years ago. That same podcast is now promoting another password management program and I must say I’m giving this change serious consideration. Particularly if exporting my bloated records could result in a more intelligent elimination of duplicates.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bwofford - I'm sorry for the trouble, but I'm confident we can still help you get this cleaned up. Standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac are still available. It sounds like you're already comfortable with them and would've preferred one, so I wish you'd reached out earlier so we could help you get transitioned that way, instead of into an account you didn't want.

1password.com accounts sync via the 1password.com servers, so Dropbox isn't a part of the equation at all. When you migrate to an account, the last step is to remove the old, standalone Primary vault after migrating your data into the account, so you don't have duplicate items. 1Password is also very conservative with your data -- the Clean Up Duplicate Items feature works great on exact matches, but if you've copied data to a different vault, you won't have exact duplicates, you'll have copies with different UUIDs.

On the plus side, all your original data should still be available, so I'm confident we can get you back to where you want to be.

To get a better idea of just what's where in your 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#HPP-32175-229]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @bwofford only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: HPP-32175-229

This discussion has been closed.