Dropbox sync problem [attempt to insert nil object]

Hi, I have 1password for windows and I tried this: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/10167-troubleshooting-dropbox-syncing/

still geting this message:

*** -[__NSPlaceholderArray initWithObjects:count:]: attempt to insert nil object from objects[0]

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry that you are having some trouble, Cimpr. To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us your Diagnostics Report? Select **Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File** from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Once we see your report we should be able to help more. Thanks in advance!
  • Ok I downloaded new version, tried repair again. Didn't help. So I send the report. Hope to hear from you guys soon :)

Thanks for your help! ;)
  • Thanks, Cimpr. We received the report and will respond as soon as possible via email. Thanks again!
  • For anyone out there having same issue, here is the solution for this bug:

* Open 1Password for Windows
    * Click File->Export... in the menu bar
    * Click "1Password Interchange File" for the "Format" option
    * Click "All Logins" for the "Items" option.

Click Ok and save it to your Desktop or somewhere you can easily find it.

Next, for every item in Wallet, Accounts, Software, Secure Notes, and Identities, copy these out into a text file. Save this text file to your Desktop as well or somewhere safe.

Once you've completed this portion, locate the 1Password.agilekeychain file. You can locate it by going to Preferences, then General. It'll tell you where the file resides.

Locate it in Explorer (the file browser, not the web browser) and move it to your Desktop as well.

Restart 1Password for Windows and it should ask you if you'd like to use an existing data file or start a new one. You want to start a new one.

Provide your same master password you used for the previous keychain. Then click File->Import and point it to the file we saved to your desktop during the Export process.

This will re-add all of your login items. You'll need to re-enter all of the other items by hand, but wait until we sync 1Password for Windows with Dropbox and then with your iOS devices.

First, make sure you're using Dropbox:

Preferences->General->Move to Dropbox

Once that syncs, remove 1Password from your iOS device and reinstall from the App Store (App Store->Updates->Purchases on the iPhone, and App Store->Purchases on the iPad).

Then resync:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

If it syncs fine, re-add the other items from the text file back into 1Password by hand and you should be set to go.
  • There is no way I'm gonna copy out and re-enter by hand all of my items in Wallet, Accounts, Software, Secure Notes, and Identities.

Seriously just skip items with this error during the iOS import. This is crazy solution, who has time for this!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I agree. This is definitely unacceptable. The problem is that it has been extremely difficult to track this bug down. Because it is so rare, it has been impossible to consistently reproduce and thus also resolve. The issue is a malformed item in your data file, but because it is malformed we don't know exactly what about it is causing the problem so we have not been able to work around it in the code.

I really am sorry for all of the trouble this has caused for you. We really don't want anything like this to happen to our users and for that we really do apologize.

We believe we have at least some form of a work around for this coming in the future after an incredible number of hours working with some other customers affected by this and a lot of banging our heads against the wall, but it is going to require some testing.

If you have access to a Mac you can export all your data to 1PIF and then import it back into a new data file in 1Password for Mac. At the moment this is not possible in 1Password for Windows since it can only import Login items. Again, there is not a simple way to find the malformed items since they do not show up in the application or export to 1PIF. That is why this procedure works to resolve the problem.

I wish you didn't have to get help at all for something like this. I'd rather it just work for you, but we are working as hard as possible to help you.
  • Thanks for the OSX tip, fortunately I know someone with Mac. Anyway problem solved. Thanks again for the tip!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I am glad that will work for you. Thanks for letting me know. I hope we are able to resolve this soon so no one else has to encounter this issue.

All the best,
  • Cimpr
    edited November 2012
    Well the only problem now is every time it founds 207 potentional updates, even when i click sync now right after sync just finished. :(

Any ideas khad?

EDIT: I should add that I tried deleting whole DB in iOS, setting new masterpass, repair 1password data in win app, then set dropbox sync again.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    Please be sure to not use 1Password for Windows as non-Login items will not be imported. Except for the last half of step 1 this entire procedure needs to be performed on the Mac you mentioned earlier.

1. Copy your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] data to the Mac.
    2. Open it in 1Password for Mac.
    3. Export all of your data (File > Export All > 1Password Interchange File).
    4. Quit 1Password.
    5. Move your data "out of the way" into a different folder.
    6. Open 1Password again. You should be prompted to create a new data file. Do so.
    7. Import the 1PIF file you just exported (File > Import > 1Password Interchange File).

To securely delete the unencrypted 1PIF file in Finder:

1. Empty your trash (Finder > Empty Trash). (This will ensure that only the 1PIF is securely deleted since the process takes a long time and there is likely no need to securely delete all of the items in your trash.)
    2. Move the 1PIF file to the trash (File > Move to Trash).
    3. Securely empty your trash (Finder > Secure Empty Trash).

Now take that newly created [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] data and copy it back to your Windows machine. You can locate it easily on the General preference pane in 1Password for Mac. Right-click it and select "Show in Finder".

General-45-20121102-105714.png

You will also need to reset syncing on your iOS device. On your iOS device, open the 1Password app, and then within the 1Password app tap:

Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset

Please let me know how it goes.
  • Cimpr
    edited November 2012
    I did that exactly. This morning. That helped me get rid of this error message:

*** -[__NSPlaceholderArray initWithObjects:count:]: attempt to insert nil object from objects[0]

But now every time there are 207 potentional updates.

So let be clear here, you think that repeating this procedure would help? I will have access to OSX on monday, so until then I can't try.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    I apologize for the confusion. If you have already done the above export/import on a Mac then just reset syncing on your iOS device. If not, you will need to perform the procedure on a Mac in order to get all of your data. On your iOS device, open the 1Password app, and then within the 1Password app tap:

Then make sure to turn Dropbox syncing back ON. If it says it is downloading potential updates, that is a good thing. That means it is working. Just wait for it to finish downloading all the updates. The initial sync will take much longer than subsequent syncs as it must download the entire data file. Subsequent syncing will only require downloading the data that is new or has changed.
  • One of us is seriously overworked :-D Ok one more time: this is what I did in the morning:

1. Copy your 1Password.agilekeychain data to the Mac.
    2. Open it in 1Password for Mac.
    3. Export all of your data (File > Export All > 1Password Interchange File).
    4. Quit 1Password.
    5. Move your data "out of the way" into a different folder.
    6. Open 1Password again. You should be prompted to create a new data file. Do so.
    7. Import the 1PIF file you just exported (File > Import > 1Password Interchange File).

To securely delete the unencrypted 1PIF file in Finder:

1. Empty your trash (Finder > Empty Trash). (This will ensure that only the 1PIF is securely deleted since the process takes a long time and there is likely no need to securely delete all of the items in your trash.)
    2. Move the 1PIF file to the trash (File > Move to Trash).
    3. Securely empty your trash (Finder > Secure Empty Trash).

Now take that newly created 1Password.agilekeychain data and copy it back to your Windows machine. You can locate it easily on the General preference pane in 1Password for Mac. Right-click it and select "Show in Finder".

You will also need to reset syncing on your iOS device. On your iOS device, open the 1Password app, and then within the 1Password app tap:

Downloaded approximately 400 items (or whatever you want to call them). Everything seemed to be fine. Than I reopened the app and saw spinning wheel meaning its sync is in progress I looked in the settings and there was over 100 potentional updates. I waited till they were all downlkoaded, clicked "sync now" and there were 207 potentional updates, updated again I clicked "sync now" and there were again 207 potentional updates, so on and so fort. I could do this all day long.

Next I tried delete whole iOS database, set new pass and masterpass, repair keychain in win app, setup dropbox sync again there were again approximately 400 items. Sync fine, next I clicked "sync now" and there were again 207 potentional updates, "sync now" 207 potentional updates, "sync now" 207 potentional updates ;)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    I appreciate you clarifying that the 207 potential updates was a recurring number and not a one time thing. That wasn't clear to me from your earlier post.

Do you still have access to the Mac? If so, I'd love to get a Diagnostics Report from 1Password for Mac.

In 1Password 3.8, just select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report from the menu bar.

Then attach the entire file to an email to support AT agilebits.com. If you still have your previous correspondence with us, it would be best to simply reply to that. If not, please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox. Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.

If you do not have access to the Mac anymore, a fresh Diagnostics Report from 1Password for Windows will suffice.

Thanks for hanging in there.
  • Cimpr
    edited November 2012
    All right, just to let you know I send the diagnostic report as answer to the previous corespondance (diagnostic report is from windows app). To the mac app I will have access in the monday if that tells you more..
  • Problem resolved! Thanks to the support team!

For anyone else, here is the solution:

Open Explorer (not internet explorer, but the file browsing explorer). You want to navigate here:

C:\Users\username\Dropbox\1Password\name.agilekeychain

Inside that, there's a data folder, and a default folder. Goto those.

Then you'll see a lot of files listed. A bunch of them start with a period "." and then an underline "_"

Move all of those to a folder on your desktop. Note that you only want to move the ones that start with "._" (that is period underline) to that folder. If it just starts with a period leave it where it is.

There are also files in there that have "conflict" in their name. Move all of those to the folder on your desktop as well.

Let that fully sync to Dropbox, then try syncing again.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    That is really great news. I'm glad Kyle was able to get everything resolved for you. The problem (and solution) is different for different folks, so I do want to issue a little disclaimer that the above steps were for you specifically. If someone else comes across this thread with a similar issue, please contact us directly first before attempting anything:

support@ agilebits .com

Enjoy the rest of your week!
This discussion has been closed.