Cannot update my work 1 password 2FA

instapaul
instapaul
Community Member

I have a new Android phone and need to transport the 1password 2FA stuff to my new phone, away from my old iPhone (I'm done with Apple!). However I cannot update the 2FA to generate a new 2FA-stuff!

I have asked my employer if they can help, but they're not certain, and a bit busy over xmas. I love 1password, and even got my own personal subscription. Admittedly, I feel this may be an oversight in 1password, since people regularly change phones. It'd be great to have texts as another 2FA method, so that Authenticator can be removed and added without violating 2FA requirement policies (I assume that's why I can't remove 2FA from my corporate account).

Here you can see the 2FA authenticator options cannot be edited:
2FA settings, showing authenticator is locked and cannot be updated

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: No idea...

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @instapaul!

If you still have your 2FA key or QR code, you can configure an additional 2FA device, and then remove the existing one. Do you still have the QR code for your 2FA?

• instapaul
    instapaul
    Community Member

Happy (almost) new year!

I do not, I was able to get IT at my employer to reset my credentials and re-authorise myself. This time I took a screenshot of the QR code... and stored them safely in my personal 1password account (ironic eh?). That way if I bump into this situation again, I can simply pull the QR codes from there :chuffed:

Will the images be encrypted?

(If not, perhaps I can derive the text codes from the images and store the text as a field on an entry, so that it will be encrypted)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@instapaul:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear this.

Will the images be encrypted?

Yes, everything stored inside 1Password is encrypted.

Happy (almost) New Year to you too!

• 9GAG
    9GAG
    Community Member

hello, I am having the same problem but I do not have a copy of the QR code to generate a new 2FA anymore.

What can I do?

• @9GAG

If you're part of a 1Password Business membership your IT team should be able to assist. Otherwise, we'd need to put you in touch with our security team. In that case please reach out to support+security@1password.com from the email address associated with your 1Password membership. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.