2FA autofill not working in Safari

Options
sekizuri
sekizuri
Community Member

Hello,

EDIT: I filled out all the platforms/software versions I'm using, saved the draft, and when I returned to the draft later all this information was apparently not saved. So I'll fill out again:

MacOS Catalina 10.15.2
Safari 13.0.4
1Password desktop app (7.4.1) (70401002)
Safari extension (7.4.1) - installed and added

I downloaded 1Password to my Mac due to solely being interested in the autofill feature, especially to use with 2FA. I've been rather disappointed to see that the much discussed ”you don’t need to open the (1password) app”-aspect doesn't work at all: that is, for 2FA one-time passwords to be automatically copied to the clipboard when attempting to sign in to a website (where the token has been added)

Just to check, this is supposed to be a feature, right?

The site I'm testing the feature on is protonmail.com. I’ve added 2FA to 1Password and the token has been configured with a web url and my account name (the email).

Am I missing something?

My feeling is that autofill just works if I don't use iCloud Keychain for my Safari logins passwords at all.

Also, the app is in "read-only" mode - perhaps this is why 2FA passwords/codes aren't copied to clipboard automatically?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sekizuri
    sekizuri
    Community Member
    Options

cough 👀

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sekizuri! Welcome to the forum!

Also, the app is in "read-only" mode - perhaps this is why 2FA passwords/codes aren't copied to clipboard automatically?

Yes, I think this might be why this is happening. You need to purchase 1Password first (either with a license or with a subscription) in order to activate filling items in your browser.

• sekizuri
    sekizuri
    Community Member
    Options

Can anyone else verify this? If I purchase the app I will definitely get 2FA codes autofilled in Safari?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sekizuri:

If 1Password is not activated, it will not fill anything in your web browser. 2FA codes are not autofilled by the way: as you correctly wrote in your first post, they will be automatically copied to the clipboard for you.

This discussion has been closed.