Recommending invalid passwords

Options

My 1Password Firefox add-on is recommending secure passwords that the host website, American Express, won't accept. AmEx only accepts a few special characters within a password, but the 1Password app suggests passwords without regard for this restriction. It makes the password suggestion useless. I would expect this on some website - I can't expect you to know every unique requirement - but AmEx should be a very commonly used site!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:amerian express

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bluex ,
    1Password X recommends strong passwords regardless of the website you are on. If the suggested password does not fit the website's requirements, you can manually create your own strong password with full control over the recipe in the passwords generator:
    1. Click the 1Password X icon on the top right side of your browser to open the 1Password window.
    2. Click the big "PLUS" icon to reveal the menu.
    3. Select the "Password Generator" (the first option in the menu).
    4. Adjust the recipe of the generator and generate your own password with your own rules and requirements as you see fit.

The passwords generator is an excellent tool that gives you full control, but 1Password X will try its best to automate things and offer its own strong passwords to try and save you the troubles. Some websites will not like it though, so manually generating your own password is the best way to go.

• bluex
    bluex
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Yaron.

If you aren't adding any intelligence behind this tool and I need to do this work, then you're just a password generator and storage mechanism. There are tons of these in the market already and many are free.

So ... what's 1Password's value proposition?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bluex ,
    1Password is one of the best passwords managers in the world for a reason. The user experience and ease of use it provides is unparalleled. Sure, there are many passwords managers out there, but the quality speaks volumes :)

Regardless, we are indeed working on some advanced mechanics for the new passwords suggestions by adding a list of popular websites to it, so that 1Password will know what is the website's requirements before suggesting a strong password. That won't solve the issue on all the websites in the world, but it is a start.
    Personally I find it rare to come across a website that does not accept a 20 characters long password with symbols, and if I do encounter such a website I feel it is rather not as secured as I'd like it to be, but yes we do realize this is a necessity for some users and are working towards a more automated experience.

Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.