Adding a Vault

Options

I have a personal Families subscription and a Teams subscription supplied by work. I'd paid for the former before we got the latter. I work from home and often open the work vault by adding it to my personal one, its not great that I cant choose one or the other easily.

I have now found that if I am working in a private browsing session, when I go through the Firefox add-in and choose settings to open the additional vault (requires Duo Authentication) the settings page won't load... I just get a blank page. I have to open a none private window, go through the process in that and then go back to my private session.

I've allowed the plugin access to private sessions so why doesn't the Teams settings page load?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: unknown

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @sailingbikeruk! That's a good question. I’d be happy to clarify what exactly is happening here and how to avoid it. While in private browsing mode, Firefox prevents extensions from accessing the local database, which 1Password X relies on in order to function properly. Unfortunately, this currently results in the blank page that you described. You may be able to get the majority of features in 1Password X working correctly even in private browsing mode, but some functionality will be limited. Does your work require that you work in private browsing mode, or is that your personal preference? I'm happy to pass your feedback along to my team; I just want to make sure I fully understand the situation.

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member
    Options

Kaitlyn

Apologies for the delayed response. I have two accounts to login to the same product, one delivers admin rights. In order to avoid SSO issues or having to logout of my daily account every time I need to do admin, I use private browsing.

The 1Password plug-in works fine once I've logged in and opened the work vault, it just won't take me to the settings page to add the vault.

I'm not clear why it needs access to the local vault to change setting in the plug-in. I can be logged in to the full client, with the work vault added and the browser plug-in still requires a second login and then a third to add the work vault and complete MFA, there doesn't seem to be much of any sort of integration.

Ian

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sailingbikeruk – I see what you're saying. I appreciate you giving me some context. I wonder if you'd be able to use a separate browser profile instead of a private window. Here's the guide to create a new browser profile in Firefox.

You're right in that 1Password X and the 1Password for Mac desktop app don't communicate in the stable versions. We're currently testing out that ability in the betas, though. If you're interested, you can learn more about it here. In the stable version, 1Password X is completely separate from the 1Password desktop app, so they'll need to be unlocked separately as well.

I'm not clear why it needs access to the local vault to change setting in the plug-in.

I don't think I'm fully understanding what you mean in the above sentence. 1Password X stores data (like your settings, and your account data so you only need to enter your Master Password instead of your Secret Key each time) in your browser's local storage. Just so I'm clear, you don't see the same behavior when accessing 1Password X while you're not in private browsing, is that right?

This discussion has been closed.