Lost my Master Password, still have possibility of exporting an old vault

Options
jmassengale
jmassengale
Community Member

My website was hacked a few days ago, and in a late-night session I had to change approximately 30 passwords, including the 1Password Master Password. In the confusion, I lost the Master Password.

I have researched this online. It seems that there is a solution, but I have been unable to make it work.

Therefore I have to explain something: I have a Mac desktop (call it Mac 2) that I disconnected from the internet before it had the opportunity to update the Master Password. I can export a vault (with the OLD password).

Following the instructions, I got a 1pif file for the exported vault. I then deleted the 1Password data on my main desktop (call it Mac 1) and tried to import the 1 pif file. Mac 1 1Password does not recognize the 1pif file.

How do I export the vault on Mac 2 to create a file that I can import into a new 1Password account on Mac 1?

Mac 1 has Catalina and 1Password 7.3.2. Mac 2 has High Sierra or Mojave and an up-to-date or almost-up-to-date version of 1Password7.

thank you

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Lost my Master Password, still have possibility of exporting an old vault

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmassengale - I'm sorry for the trouble, though I'm glad to hear you're able to export your 1Password data! Are you using 1Password with a 1password.com account, or as a standalone setup with local data synced via Dropbox or iCloud?

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

It is a 1password.com account.

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

After several days of waiting over the holidays, my email to 1Password support went to England, where support is presumably now closed until Monday. So it would be great to solve this here. The solutions I have found online so far all have problems.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmassengale:

Some of us work during weekends too ;)

This discussion has been closed.