Problem switching to a new MacBook Pro

Options
StuCharlton
StuCharlton
Community Member

I've been using 1password on a Mac and iOS for a few years. I'm not sure how long, which is part of the problem – I originally paid for it with a one-off fee but can't remember how or when.

I'm running version 6.8.8 fine on my current MacBook Pro, syncing my vault via Dropbox to use on my iPhone too.

But now I'm switching to a newer MBP and after install it runs in trial mode – I need to either add a license or purchase it. I just can't figure out what to do.

I can't find an emergency kit. The three options on https://support.1password.com/secret-key/ all require you to have an account, which I don't have.

• When I go into Prefs there's nothing in the Accounts tab
  • I tried to recover password using all possible email addresses but got a "no account found" email for each.
  • Searching for emails from agilebits or 1password in my inbox gives me no results

What can I try next?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Catalina
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StuCharlton! Welcome to the forum!

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so if you want to use the latest version, you will need either a license for version 7, or an active 1Password Membership.

If you do not want to upgrade, you will need to download 1Password 6 again, since that is the version that you purchased.

So the question is: which version of the 1Password app would you like to use?

• StuCharlton
    StuCharlton
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, thanks for the quick reply

I'm happy with version 6.

I initially installed 7 on my new machine without realising it was different. Then I tried to downgrade, by deleting it from my Applications folder, downloading the older one I could find on the 1password website (which is 6.8.9) and running the installer. It seems to have worked OK, but the same problem persists,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

@StuCharlton:

Have you applied your 1Password 6 license to the version 6 app after installing it?

If you don't have a license for version 6, did you perhaps purchase 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store back in the day? If so, that is where you need to download the app from (from your Mac App Store purchase history you will be able to download version 6 once again, if that is indeed where you originally purchased the app).

• StuCharlton
    StuCharlton
    Community Member
    Options

It worked! Turns out I did buy it through the App Store in 2014.

For anyone else successfully using 1password 6 without a license, a secret key, or any trace of how you got here:

• Go to Store > View my account
    • Download older version from your list of purchased apps

=)

Thanks so much @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StuCharlton, you are very welcome! I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.