My AutoFill macOS/Chrome problem

Options

Comments

• arrr
    arrr
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I try to remove all unnecessary icons from my toolbar (as every app these days wants to have its own icon there). My dock and browser icons are fine, no worries. And my issue is exactly the same, as described in this thread.
    Anyway: I had to reboot today, so everything got restarted for sure and I'm still having the issue. Btw I've noticed, that I'm having it with aliexpress.com nearly 2/3 times, so it can be a good website to run your tests.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arrr - if you don't already have the beta version of 1Password's companion extension for Chrome installed, uninstall the one you DO have currently and install the unlisted beta version.

Restart both Chrome and 1Password 7 for Mac, and see if that addresses the issue. Using stable channel Chrome and the beta 1Password extension, I'm able to successfully autofill the aliexpress.com site (with dummy data; I don't have an account there) reliably, 100% of the time:

If you're having troubles with it, I'd make sure to disable any other extensions that might be interfering. Disable them ALL briefly, then if that solves your issue, you can turn them back on one at a time to see which one(s) might be the culprit. It might also be worth checking your saved item in 1Password to make sure it's correct, URL-wise. Maybe even allow 1Password to re-save a new item for aliexpress.com and any other site at which you're having this difficulty. Let us know how you get on.

• arrr
    arrr
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I do have a beta install for a couple of days now - don't see any difference with stable one.
    I made a screen rec with the issue, but I don't wanna post it on public, as it contains some logins, do you have any email/dm/dropbox account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arrr - you're more than welcome to post your video to any sharing service of your choice and then share that with us via email. I'd suggest using an unlisted link (which will prevent casual discovery/snooping). If you're going to password-protect it, make sure to let us know how to view. If you're going to the trouble of doing all of that recording, I'd also like to ask you to create and include in your email a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#BHI-14247-677]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Include the link to your video, and I'll be happy to take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @arrr only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: BHI-14247-677

• arrr
    arrr
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Done

• chrisworfolk
    chrisworfolk
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm that the beta version has not resolved the issue for me. I'm running 4.7.6.1 according to Chrome extension manager.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisworfolk - awesome news! It has for me as well. I suspect (though don't have enough evidence to say conclusively yet) that those few people for whom:

1. Uninstalling the existing stable extension
    2. Installing the beta, and
    3. Restarting both 1Password 7 for Mac and Chrome (or just restarting the Mac itself)

...doesn't work, may be down to other factors, not a failure of the beta extension. Glad to hear it's working as well for you as it has been for me so far. :)

• aordway
    aordway
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here.
    macOS 10.15.2 (19C57), 1Password 7.4.1 (70401002), Brave Version 1.2.42 Chromium: 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit), 1Password extension beta Version4.7.6.1.

If I quit 1Password and relaunch it, the extension will fill in the web page, but within a few minutes it will go back to just opening the 1Password mini menu item.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aordway - sorry for the trouble. Can you please:

1. Turn off all other Chrome extensions temporarily, or, if you prefer, create a new profile in Chrome and install ONLY the 1Password 4.7.6.1 extension into it. If this resolves the issue, try turning your extensions back on, one-by-one, to discover which one is causing the conflict/issue.
    2. Let us know whether this happens with all websites, or only specific ones -- as well as any other sort of pattern you can determine for the behavior.

Thanks.

• aordway
    aordway
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

@Lars here is screenshot of my extensions settings.

After I took the screenshot I turned off the 4 items on the extensions screen. I'm restarting and will report back with results.

Restarted (rebooted Mac) and still have the same problem. I went to our internal WP site that requires login and when I tried to use 1Password extension to autofill the login info it dropped down the 1Password mini menu.
    I then opened a new window in Brave and made it full screen to do a screen recording. In full screen I could not get the the 1Password extension so I used the mini menu to autofill the user/password and it worked. I then zoomed the window back down to normal and logged out and tried the extension to log in and it worked. Very strange. I'll keep testing.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aordway - keep us posted, especially if you can get some reproducible steps on one or more websites to get this to happen. So far (in Brave) the 4.7.6.1 update is working here; I can't get it to fail on a properly-saved site. That's one more thing I forgot to mention you might try: re-saving a new Login item for a site that's giving you trouble. Websites sometimes change their setup, sitemap, all sorts of things, such that what you (properly) saved in 1Password six months or a year ago may not be quite what the website wants to see now. Try saving normally or even save a new Login item manually and see if that makes any difference. Let us know what you discover.

• jos2
    jos2
    Community Member
    Options

If we decide to try the beta extension to fix this problem (I'm having it as well in both Vivaldi and Microsoft Edge on OS X), do we have to run the beta extensions in the other browsers on the same system like Firefox and Safari? Also, do we need to be running the Beta 1Password app to use the beta extension, or can we just run the beta extension for Chrome and leave everything else on stable?

• aordway
    aordway
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I think I may have come across a common thread. If I get to a page that will not autofill, I then modify the url so that it is just the domain, like https://www.ihmc.us/, then it will autofill. This seems to have been working for me.

• ring076
    ring076
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that the 4.7.6.1 is NOT working for me on Mac/Chrome. Many sites still popup the entire account list and do not autofill. I also tried aordway's workaround by editing the domain so its only the base domain but that isnt working either. This issue is so frustrating!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jos2 - you should be able to use the stable 1Password 7 for Mac with the beta version (4.7.6.1) 1Password extension for Chrome. And yes, you'll want to install that into Chromium-based browsers as well. You don't need it in Firefox and can't install it in Safari (the Safari App Extension is built-into the main 1Password 7 app now, for Safari 12 and later).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aordway - that's something I've been trying to determine when users have continued issues after installing the beta extension: whether one or more of their Login items is simply using an outdated or just plain wrong URL for the website field. Editing it down to the base domain may work, but unless the sites in question are like Facebook, where the main URL is also the sign-in page, it may not be the best idea. My suggestion would be to open the site's main page in a browser, find the Login button and then manually save a new Login item in 1Password, using that correct sign-in URL. If it still doesn't work after that, then it's likely that either there's just a general filling issue with that particular site (which could be confirmed by using a non-Chromium browser) or there's still some issue remaining with this on some small percentage of sites. Let us know what you discover.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ring076 - what do you mean by "many?" What percentage of the sites you have saved Login items for in 1Password seem to be still experiencing this issue, after having installed the 4.7.6.1 beta extension? Did you disable or uninstall all other 1Password extensions (including 1Password X) you might have previously had installed? Did you quit and restart both Chrome and 1Password 7 for Mac? If not, please do those things now -- or just restart your Mac, if that's easier. If you're still having troubles, let us know.

• ring076
    ring076
    Community Member
    Options

Of the last 5 sites I've visited the issue occurred on 3 of them including the one 2 I use the most. The only extension installed in Chrome is 4.7.6.1. I've also deleted the entry entirely from 1password and had it resave and same issue. Yes I've restarted as well.

• aordway
    aordway
    Community Member
    Options

@lars would it help for me to open sites that I'm having problems with in Safari to see if the problem is there as well?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ring076 - have you tried filling these sites in other browsers like Safari or Firefox? What was the result?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aordway - yep, just as I told ring076 above. If there are problems in Safari and/or Firefox as well, then it's like to be either a filling issue in 1Password with that site in particular (which we can work on, but isn't indicative of this Chrome filling issue), or a badly-saved item (one for which the filling logic may have simply changed at the site, and a re-save might fix).

• ring076
    ring076
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars The sites that cause a problem in Chrome work just fine with autofill in Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ring076 - are you willing to share them here in this public forum so we can test them out ourselves? If not, then please shoot us a quick email to support+forum@agilebits.com and let us know what they are. If you're going that latter route, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :) Thanks!

• ring076
    ring076
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars , I've got consistent issues with vanguard.com, fidelity.com, bankofamerica.com, and optumrx.com and others. These same sites work just fine with 1password autofill and Safari on Mac or on WIndows (even in Chrome).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ring076 - out of curiosity, since I cannot get those sites you listed to fail here, how are you doing this? Are you clicking "Open & Fill" from within the main 1Password 7 for Mac application? Are you visiting the site manually or via saved bookmark in Chrome, then clicking the extension within Chrome? Using the keyboard shortcut ⌘\?

• ring076
    ring076
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars workflow is I generally navigate to the page on the site where the username/password form is and then click the Chrome 1password extension. At that point it correctly identifies the site I'm on, I click "autofill". At that point it shows the full list of available logins and username/password are not entered.

• jimpm
    jimpm
    Community Member
    Options

For me, it seems the inability to fill in passwords (mostly) happens with sites that I have more than one login for, my bank's site (53.com) being the biggest annoyance, though there are others. For my bank's site, I have a login for my personal and business. When I click Command \, it shows the 2 login entries; if I click one of the logins, the 1PW window closes and then reopens showing every login (and of course doesn't fill in a password).

It seems that sometimes, if I click on a different Chrome tab, fill something else in, and then return to my bank's tab, 1PW will work. Other times, if I just enter random stuff in the username/password fields of the login, then press Command \ and select one of my two logins, it auto-fills (but not always). Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I seem to have more issues with sites with multiple login entries.

Running macOS 10.14.6; Chrome 79; 1PW 7.4.1 (perpetual license, if that matters)... Sorry, I don't have time to try the beta. ;(

Just wanted to give some input. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimpm - if you're not running the beta of the Chrome extension, you will indeed potentially get this issue in Chrome. I understand not having the time to update, but until you're able and willing to do so, our answer will be: please update to the 4.7.6.1 beta of our Chrome extension. Let us know if you continue to have problems after that, if you've restarted both Chrome and 1Password (Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q - or by just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

@ring076 - thanks for the additional information. Have you also tried deleting your current Login item for these sites and re-saving them, manually, as I suggested aordway try? If not, please do that.

Here were my results after manually saving a new (dummy) login on those sites in Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit) on macOS 10.15.2 with 1Password companion extension beta 4.7.6.1:

Please understand: I'm not putting these here to "prove you wrong" or argue with you; I'm simply demonstrating for anyone still following this issue generally or this particular thread that in our testing, the beta of 4.7.6.1 does indeed work to solve the issue users are having with this particular problem.

It's absolutely true the original issue was definitely a problem for many users, for weeks. But that specific issue appears to have been solved by the 4.7.6.1 beta extension. I absolutely believe users can be having filling issues with certain sites, or problems with their own setups. But based on our testing and my own unsuccessful attempts at verification of users' claims that the original issue continues, I think ongoing problems are now site-(or setup-) specific, not a continuation of the original issue of the 4.7.5.90 1Password extension in Chrome opening the mini a second time after a filling attempt (instead of filling). That doesn't mean continuing issues with filling on some sites or with some setups don't exist, or that we don't want to help you resolve them. And I certainly could be wrong. I'd just like (for now, if possible) to avoid continuing suggestions that the original issue remains unresolved, unless we can reproduce any such evidence consistently -- which we have so far been unable to do. Feel free to open new threads in the Saving and Filling in Browsers channel if you're having trouble with filling a particular site, or with filling in general.

If anyone reading this is still having difficulties with filling in Chrome, either in general or on particular sites, and you believe the problem you're experiencing IS a continuation of the original, pre-4.7.6.1 issue, then before posting in one of the threads devoted to this issue and saying it's still unresolved, can you please do all of the following:

1. Make sure you have only the 4.7.6.1 beta 1Password extension installed in chrome://extensions -- turn off any other 1Password extensions you have there, and if you don't yet have the 4.7.6.1 beta, you can install it from this link
    2. Once you've got the 4.7.6.1 extension installed and all other 1Password extensions disabled or removed,
      • Quit all browsers including Chrome
      • Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Restart both Chrome and 1Password 7 for Mac
    4. For any sites you notice a problem that appears to resemble the original issue here, re-save a new Login item manually for the site, using these instructions, and move your old Login item for the site to 1Password's trash.
    5. Try filling the Login item again, both in Chrome and in non-Chromium browsers (Safari and Firefox, if you have it available).

Let us know how it goes. If you continue to notice issues, please make a record of exactly what steps you took, so we can try to reproduce the issue here, then let us know. If we can confirm it, we'll be happy to continue work fixing it. Thanks for your patience, everyone. :)

• ring076
    ring076
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, I understand you are unable to reproduce but like you said maybe it is system specific. However, I think at least on my system Chrome/Catalina/1password are the culprit. From what I can remember this issue began occurring after the upgrade to Catalina.. ALL of the sites I mentioned work just fine on the same Catalina system using both Firefox and Safari and all Windows browsers. Therefore I dont think the issue is with the way the logon is saved in 1 password but the Chrome extension itself or something conflicting. Anyway, it sounds like we have tried everything and I will need to live with it for now or find an alternate solution. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.