[Family > "Private"] vs [On my Mac > "Primary"]

Options
shethebean
shethebean
Community Member

My husband and I have been sharing the same 1Password acct for ~10 years. We recently 'upgraded' to 7 so we could use the Safari extension.

Now that we are on 7, I have a Private Vault and a Primary Vault "on my Mac". There are ~50 more entries in the Private Vault than in the Primary Vault. I've synced each vault individually to the Dropbox file and there is still a discrepancy of number of entries. What's the difference between these two vaults and is it okay to delete the "On My Mac Primary" Vault? My husband has no 'sync' option in his preferences menu but was able to see a password entry I dropped into the one shared vault (at this time it is the only entry in the shared vault)

Also, it seems husband and I each have our Private vaults and if one of us adds an entry it doesn't sync to the other. Should we dump all of our passwords into one shared vault to get this to happen? We really would rather share everything than try to determine which device we need to use to get into our sign ins if we've created a new account somewhere...

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox/Folder
Referrer: forum-search:on my mac primary vs private

Comments

• shethebean
    shethebean
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

TLDR:

1.):
    What is/should be the difference between

Family > Private Vault

and

On My Mac > Primary Vault

2.):
    To have all passwords continually synching on both a husband's and wife's devices, all passwords should be in a shared vault, correct?

• Ben
    Options

To have all passwords continually synching on both a husband's and wife's devices, all passwords should be in a shared vault, correct?

Correct.

On My Mac > Primary Vault

Primary would be a vestige from before signing up for 1Password Families. The Private vault is the one that is part of your account. Primary should be emptied and deleted, and all of your data should be moved to Private (or another 1Password Families vault):

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.