Using one login for multiple URLs...1Password does not offer correct login...

peterbastian
peterbastian
Community Member

I am using latest 1Password on latest iPad OS. I work for a school system that has several urls that have the same credentials. The school system domain is like xyz.org. There are also other logins to the same main domain (xyz.org) that use different credentials. I am managing all this with 1Password. I have a single login associated with 5 of the urls. There are two others with different urls and different credentials. I have TAGS for al these that label them as being with the school system so they are easy to find.

Heres the problem: from within Safari, if i type the exact url for one of the sites connected to the single login, i get the little prompt from 1Password, but it lists the credentials from one of the other, single-url logins from the school district. Essentially, 1Password doesnt match to the url that is a member of the multi-url login. Further, and this is confusing, in the prompt, 1Password says “for xyz.org - jsmith@xyz.org”. So, i dont know why it is selecting that particular set of credentials, when they arent associated with the url i am using. The common element here is that there are several urls in the vault that end in “xyz.org”.

In my multiple-url login, there are two urls that do nit end in “xyz.org”. Those work fine as expected. So, essentially, it appears that 1Password searches the vault for all urls ending in “xyz.org” and offers up the first one it finds, in spite of the fact that the url in Safari matches one of the url’s in the multi-url login.

So, what is missing from my multi-url login that would enable 1Password to properly match he url in Safari to the login in the vault?

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 13.3
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• peterbastian
    peterbastian
    Community Member

Just stumbled on a fix for this, but i question why it works this way: on the multiple-url login, i used my own custom labels for the various urls, so i could identify them easily. On the single-url logins, the label for the url was “website”, the 1password default. When i changed the default “website” label to a custom one of my own choosing, the issue i was having went away. So, somehow, in 1Password, it is prioritizing the default label over custom ones. Is this by design? Seems to me the label shouldn’t influence anything.

• peterbastian
    peterbastian
    Community Member

Disregard my comment above. Cant find how to delete it, but i got ahead of myself. Still not working.

• Hi @peterbastian

Welcome to the 1Password support forum. :)

iOS's autofill feature doesn't support filtering URLs by more than the domain portion (e.g. xyz.org). If you have multiple login items for xyz.org it is expected that they'd all be listed. It also doesn't support showing item names or tags in the autofill UI, but if you instead tap on the key icon above the keyboard and then tap the 1Password... line at the bottom of the list you'll be taken to our UI which does show the item titles.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.