How can I delete the 2FA tag?

Options

I have an account with GoDaddy for several services including domain hosting and email. I use the email service several times a day but the other services I only need to log into about once every several months. Awhile ago 1Password notified me that 2-factor authentication was available for the GoDaddy site so I "enabled" it in 1Password. But I think this was a mistake because now when I go to login to my email the fields do not auto populate. Instead, I have to cut and paste the login and password credentials, which is cumbersome. Perhaps this problem could be solved if I eliminated the 2FA tag associated with my email login. Can you help me get rid of the 2FA tag or suggest a different work-around solution? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to turn off 2 factor authentication

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fly65!

I don't think that a tag can cause filling issues. Can you please give us some information about your setup so we can test the website here too?

• 1Password for Windows version
    • Browser used
    • Browser version
    • 1Password browser extension version
    • URL where you are trying to login

Thank you!

• fly65
    fly65
    Community Member
    Options

Oops. I mistakenly replied through regular email (not by clicking the link in your last message). Sorry. Here is the info

Thanks for your quick reply!

1Password version = 7.3.712
    Browser = Mozilla Firefox
    Browser version = 71.0
    1Password browser extension = 4.7.5.90
    URL = email.secureserver.net

Also, just so you know, of my several GoDaddy accounts only the two with 2FA tags do not autopopulate, all the others do autopopulate. That's the reason I was suspecting the problem is with 2FA... it's as if it won't populate the fields because it's waiting for an action (like putting in a 2FA code).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fly65,

I do not think that 2FA tag can cause such issues. Are you trying to disable 2FA for your GoDaddy accounts or just remove a 2FA tag from GoDaddy items in 1Password 7? Please clarify.

To remove a tag in 1Password 7, you can just right-click the tag in question in the sidebar and select "Delete":

But I am pretty sure that it is not the culprit here. Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

• fly65
    fly65
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg. What I'm trying to accomplish is the simple loading of my user name and password when I'm at a login page and 1Password is active. It's usually just a 1-click process. But for these 2 accounts I have to copy and paste both the username and password, which takes more time and effort. I do not have to use this "copy and paste" process for most if not all of my dozens of other login pages (both inside and outside of GoDaddy). I just deleted the 2FA code following your instructions so thanks for that info. But you are right: the problem did not go away. Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Hey @fly65. When you say you have to copy/paste your credentials for GoDaddy, why is that?

I realize at face value that may seem like an odd question: that's why you are here, after all. What I mean to ask, is what prompted that from you in the first place? What is happening with 1Password itself that is different in the steps you are taking between this and other websites? Are you using the same keyboard shortcut? Are you clicking to autofill all the same, and Autofill just doesn't complete? Does 1Password not show the matching logins?

• fly65
    fly65
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_michaelc. I'll try to give you step-by-step detail to answer all questions. For all my 1Password logins except these two (of seven) GoDaddy accounts, I can open 1Password, search for a desired login, click on the login icon, and it will take me to that login website and populate the username and password fields. The 1Password window disappears and all that's left for me to do is click the target website's "submit" button (or equivalent) and I'm logged in. Easy. But in the case of these two GoDaddy accounts -- the only two that I've ever enabled 2FA -- after I search for and find the desired login icon in 1Password, when I click on the GoDaddy login icon I'm taken to the proper URL but neither the login nor password fields get populated. At this point 1Password disappears from my screen. If I reopen 1Password it will be just where I left it: on the proper URL. And if I just click on the login icon again the 1Password window again disappears without populating the login fields. At this point the easiest way for me to populate the fields is for me again call up the 1Password login icon for this site and right-click it, which produces a drop-down menu. Then I hover my mouse over "username" and I'm given the option to select "copy". This copies the username and causes 1Password to disappear again. I then paste the copied text into username and repeat the exact same process for copying and pasting the password. Pretty cumbersome, right?

Also, for all other logins in 1Password, when I'm at a URL login screen for a site I can use the keyboard shortcut to have 1Password open and display its login icon for that site. And when I click on the icon it populates the username and password fields. But in the two errant GoDaddy accounts nothing happens, the shortcut doesn't work -- 1Password doesn't open and the fields do not populate. I have to click on the 1Password icon at the top of my window and open it that way and then proceed with the steps outlined earlier.

I think that covers it but let me know if it's not clear of if you need other info. Thanks for your helpl

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @fly65 ,
    Thanks for the detailed followup.

We're still having troubles believing that the 2FA might affect the username/password field in any way, but for testing purposes, we sure can go with your hunch and test it:
    1. Log into your GoDaddy account(s) and disable 2FA there.
    2. Open the 1Password desktop app, select one of these accounts and click on "Edit" to enter edit mode.
    3. Delete/remove the 2FA field in it (make sure to only delete it if you have actually disabled 2FA on GoDaddy's website under your account's settings).
    4. Click on "Save" and close the app, then test autofilling and see if it works as it once did.

If it still does not work, then 2FA didn't really have anything to do with it, but we're still not sure what might have cause it. I think the best thing to do is to create a new login for each one of these accounts. Please save a new login manually for these accounts and see if the new logins work as they should: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

If the new logins work, feel free to enable 2FA back on in your accounts and then add that 2FA to 1Password. Things should work the same even with the 2FA enabled, as it is a completely different field that should not interrupt the username/password form.

• fly65
    fly65
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Yaron, This worked! As you instructed, I completely removed the 2FA code field (having first turned off 2FA in my GoDaddy account). Saved and reopened and... voila! The username and password fields populated just as they should. I turned 2FA back on in GoDaddy but I'm not going to add it back in 1Password because I don't really need it and why risk another hiccup? Thanks so much.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @fly65 ,
    Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear things are working again for you, but that just made us more curious! Haha :)
    I completely understand you not wanting to add the 2FA back into 1Password and just keep things working, but I would really appreciate it if you do add that 2FA and see if the issue is back or if things work properly. It is important for us to fix such issues so that other users will not encounter them.

Either way, thank you for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.