Cannot load pages with HTTP Authenticaiton

Options

Using 1Password X with Chrome (both latest versions) prevents loading any page behind HTTP Authentication. There are tons of threads on various HTTP auth issues in the past, but I can't find any on the current plugin and documentation on this appears non-existent.

Loading a page with HTTP authentication results in a white screen of death. Totally blank, no username/password popup. As a web developer who must access development sites behind http auth, this makes using 1Password impossible for me on a daily basis (no bueno as I prepaid for a year family account...).

Is there a fix to this, or a fix planned? Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @tD3rk! Thanks for the report. I'll admit that HTTP Auth isn't something I'm using on a daily basis, but I'm able to sign in the way I'd expect when I use Go & Fill. Just in case it wasn't clear from previous threads, here are the steps to take to fill HTTP Auth:

1. Click the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Search for your HTTP Auth Login item and click Go.

A new tab should open, and you should be signed in via HTTP Auth right away. It happens so quickly that you don't even see the popup. Are the above steps the same ones you're taking to fill? If so, are you able to share the URL with me so I can test it out on my end and see if I can reproduce the behavior? Let me know!

• tD3rk
    tD3rk
    Community Member
    Options

I did not report a failure of 1password to work, I reported that 1password prevents the loading of any site with http authentication. I am not attempting to use 1password in any way/shape/form on these sites - I just want to be able to load them. What I get is a white screen of death - no username/password prompt at all, just a site that fails to load entirely.

I tried again at home where I have an identical setup (same OS, browser, extensions, everything up to date) and there it worked. Can you suggest any troubleshooting steps I can try? I've reinstalled 1password X to no avail, not sure if there might be some weird caching issue where it stores data that may not be removed completely on uninstall that I could manually delete?

• Ben
    Options

@tD3rk

Does the problem occur if 1Password is uninstalled?

Ben

• tD3rk
    tD3rk
    Community Member
    Options

1password X causes the issue. Remove it, no problem. Reinstall it, problem is back. Prevent it from running in incognito mode, can load sites in incognito. Allow it to run in incognito, can't load sites in incognito.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2020
    Options

@tD3rk Thanks for that additional information. Thus far I'm unable to reproduce that. I have 1Password X v1.70.0 in Chrome 79.0.3945.88 on macOS 10.14.6.

I tested using this page:
    https://www.httpwatch.com/httpgallery/authentication/
    (see "Example 10")

The example image does appear correctly for me after authenticating. Does it appear for you? Can you provide us with an example of a page that does not work? Additionally could you please provide your version information so that we're reproducing the environment you're using as closely as we can?

Thank you.

Ben

• tD3rk
    tD3rk
    Community Member
    Options

As noted I can't reproduce this myself on another system that's a near exact duplicate. Same os, browser, plugins, etc. and everything at the same version...all information I did not provide in understanding that you would not be able to reproduce the issue if I couldn't - this is why I asked if there's any troubleshooting steps I can take. I'm a web developer, I'd be super happy to follow any complex/technical steps on my end that you could provide.

Example 10 works for me. Here's a test site I just spun up that does not work on my end, but that I believe would work on my home computer running the same stack: http://1passwordexample.flywheelsites.com

As for versions they're again all w/e the latest stable release is. 1Password X looks to be at 1.17. This is a Win10 machine.

As asked, is it possible 1password stores data somewhere that perhaps fails to be deleted upon removal of the extension that I could go and manually delete? That this works on one computer and fails on another begs for a clean reinstall which I'm inclined to believe is not actually happening.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tD3rk – First off, I wanted to apologize for misunderstanding your issue to begin with. It makes much more sense now, and I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks for creating that test for us! I was able to reproduce the issue with the site you linked. The strange thing is that the HTTP Auth prompt appears the first time I open the page, but after that, I get the same white screen you mentioned (while 1Password X is enabled). There's a chance you're running into this Chromium issue. I tested it out in Chrome Canary, which is version 81.0.4020.0, and the HTTP Auth prompt opened each time when I visited the test site you created while 1Password X was enabled and unlocked. If you happen to have Canary installed, could you give it a try there just to see if you're still running into the same issue?

• tD3rk
    tD3rk
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there, super big thanks for that info! Having read through that Chromium bug thread I'm completely positive that's the problem and that it's been fixed, will just need to wait for it to trickle down out to stable and other Chromium based browsers. For now I'll just use incognito windows with 1Password X disabled in incognito mode as a mildly annoying workaround until the patch percolates my way.

Last question: does 1Password maintain a list of known issues somewhere that I couldn't find? If not, could you please? It's a little disheartening that this was known about 3 weeks ago after which I wasted considerable time (trying to figure out the issue, trying to resolve the issue, giving up and having to create an account on a forum because it's the only way I could find to get support - leaving me with two disconnected accounts related to one company, then the back and forth posting), and then in turn wasted 1Password's support time over a known issue, all because this wasn't posted anywhere that I could find.

Anywho thanks again!

• tD3rk
    tD3rk
    Community Member
    Options

Also quick aside for anyone else with this issue - you actually shouldn't need Canary or soon won't - according to the chromium bug tracker this has been merged into M-80 so that's beta channel and should makes it's way to stable in the first week of February.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tD3rk – No worries! I'm glad you were able to recognize the issue right away.

We don't have a list of known issues in 1Password that's publicly available. Issues honestly change so fast that I'm not sure how sustainable it would be to keep up with. In addition, this is an issue in Chromium, so it's not necessarily something that I'd consider to be a known issue in 1Password. I think that's solid feedback, though, and I really do appreciate you wanting to do some research before coming to us with a question.

Thanks for the update on the timeline just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread!

• tD3rk
    tD3rk
    Community Member
    Options

Totally understand! Just would push back that a known issue that affects your product is a known issue FOR your product on the user side. This isn't about allocating blame - the blame is all on Chromium - but all a user sees is that 1PasswordX breaks native browser functionality when installed and removing it fixes the issue. If it's a matter of blame just note (the issue is due to a bug in Chromium that Google is fixing).

Sorry if I've belabored anything, I seriously appreciate the challenge you're up against.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tD3rk – I agree with you. I'm not one to play the blame game, and I'm very sorry if that's the impression you were getting. That's absolutely not something I want to be putting across in any way. If we do decide to create a list of known issues, then you're right, it'd make sense to include any issue that affects 1Password rather than 1Password issues. Thank you for bringing it up!

This discussion has been closed.