Missing 1PAssword-X features: restrict lookup by vault and proper password generation

Hi,

I still regret every time I am restricted to using 1Password-X instead of the better browser plugin. So this means everywhere I use linux or Firefox. 1Password should care about this, as this is where power-user early adopters and evangelists tend to hang out.

My first problem comes from having multiple accounts for one site and multiple vaults. The standalone Windows client handles this perfectly: I can easily choose a particular vault for a particular work environment, and I can hide 'old' credentials that I will only ever need occasionally (if ever again) in archival vaults which I can nevertheless access when I need to.

This is entirely broken in 1Password-X and in the iOS addin: I am always offered every matching credential, from all my accounts. If this happens for 1Password Business users they must hate it.

So, please will you fix limiting visibility to selected vaults in 1Password-X? Thank you!

The second problem is lack of access to the password generator. It's great to be able to use the full browser plugin for this and, conversely, infuriating not to be ale to do this from 1Password-X. In passing, I note that you promised to remedy this in a discussion thread back in 2017 ...

Under Windows, things aren't so bad, because the standalone app can easily generate passwords to order, but on platforms where this isn't available - Grr!

So, please will you add adequate access to password generation in 1Password-X? Thank you!

I am a long-term, generally happy, 1Password user, but I'd be a lot happier with these improvements.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @amh! Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'd like to start by clarifying that while 1Password X is available for both macOS and Windows, you're welcome to use the desktop-dependent 1Password extension if that's what you prefer. Our intention is never to force you to use one or the other. That said, 1Password X was designed with Linux users in mind, and that's why we decided to create a 1Password extension that operates without the need to be connected to a desktop app.

I think I'm following what you're saying in regards to having multiple accounts/vaults, although I'm not sure I understand the restriction in 1Password X. I'll use myself as an example – I have a vault named "Old Items" where I send items that are no longer relevant, but I don't necessarily want the credentials trashed just in case I were to need them again. My "Old Items" vault is removed from All Vaults, so items inside that vault don't show up in the inline menu at all. They also don't appear in the 1Password X pop-up unless I specifically search for the item, then click the "Search Everywhere" button. You also have the ability to select a specific vault in the 1Password X pop-up and view items inside the chosen vault. To do that, click the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar and use the keyboard shortcut Control+D. If you click the gear icon next to All Vaults, that's where you'll be able to choose which vaults appear in All Vaults and which should be left out. With the extremely robust search feature in 1Password X, I tend to search for an item before I select a specific vault, but I understand having many accounts for a single website. That's when selecting specific vaults comes in handy for me.

I'd love to see the thread you found where we previously promised access to the password generator in 1Password X back in 2017. If that's documented anywhere, I definitely want to leave a new comment to avoid any confusion. 1Password X has a full-featured password generator, and I honestly don't recall a time where it didn't, but that could have been before I discovered it. Either way, I think you'll be pleased by it. To access the password generator in 1Password X, click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, then click the + button, then click Password Generator (or press the keyboard shortcut Control+G). I created a screencast to show you exactly what I mean.

I hope this helps clear up some of these existing features for you. If you have any questions or if you have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to share. I'm happy to help! :)

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

I created a screencast to show you exactly what I mean.

Kaitlyn, thanks so much for this. It is so helpful seeing just this 8 second clip. (I hope I see more "screencasts" or the like in other threads)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, @jmjm! It's so great to know what helps and what doesn't. There will definitely be more screencasts from me in the future thanks to your feedback. ❤️

This discussion has been closed.