problem connecting to new vault on some computers

Options
jmassengale
jmassengale
Community Member

Yesterday I deleted all 1Password data on my Mac Mini, deleted an old 1Password account online, set up a new account, and imported a data.1pif to restore my old vault. Success! I used the scan option to get the new vault on my iPhone.

This morning I tried to connect the 1Password7 on my MacAir to the new account. I signed into the new account, and I see the name of the new account in the 1Password window, but there are no items in the vault. I checked online at 1Password.com, where I can see the vault with all the items in it.

How do I get the new vault into the MacAir 1Password? If the answer is to use my phone to scan a QR code, how and where exactly do I find the QR code?

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:problem connecting to new vault on some computers

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jmassengale

The best way to have access to that QR code (your "setup code") is by printing a copy of your Emergency Kit from a web browser you've already used to sign in / sign up:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Alternatively, you can also obtain this code from one of the 1Password apps you've already signed into:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you. Either I'm missing something or there's some miscommunication here.

I know my Secret Key. I can see it in my iPhone 1Password vault.

I successfully used the Secret Key to sign in to 1Password.com.

The Emergency Kit is on my Mac Mini. It is not on my MacAir. I am in a different location than the Mac Mini and I do not have access to a printed Emergency Kit.

I used the Secret Key and the Master Password to sign into the 1Password7 app on my MacAir.

The MacAir 1Password shows the correct account but no vault. See attached.

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I found the Setup Code. I had a little trouble finding it for the same reason I sometimes have trouble with the online help.

There is a page with the title "Find your Secret Key or Setup Code." Then the instructions for the two are intermingled, with more emphasis on the Secret Key.

For what it's worth, I think it would be clearer if one page dealt with "Find your Secret Key" and a different page handled "Find your Setup Code."

People come to the Support Forum, I think, because they find the instructions here simpler and clearer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmassengale - thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear you were able to locate your Setup Code. Let us know if you run into any further difficulties. :)

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, when I turned on my MacAir tonight, the vault appeared after a few seconds. That's good for many reasons, including I didn't know what to do that I hadn't done.

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.