Is there a need for a YubiKey device if I'm using FaceID?

Options
Edison517
Edison517
Community Member

I'm trying to understand when a YubiKey device would be beneficial, if I'm using an iPhone, a Mac at home, and a PC at work...I'm guessing the YubiKey would only be used on the PC, since the iPhone has FaceID, and the Mac has TouchID...?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:2fa faceid

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Edison517

YubiKeys are used with 1Password to facilitate authorizing new devices to your account. It is generally a one time per device situation. Without 2FA set up the process for adding a new device to your account requires your:

• Sign-in address
    • Email address
    • Secret Key
    • Master Password

If 2FA is enabled and a YubiKey has been added then in order to add a new device to your account you'd need all of the above plus:

• The YubiKey OR
    • A TOTP code from an authenticator app (such as Google Authenticator, Authy, Microsoft Authenticator, etc)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Edison517
    Edison517
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. So if I understand correctly, the YubiKey wouldn't be used to unlock my vault each/every time I want to access it? I kinda thought that was the point of a YubiKey, but I must be conflating this with the purpose of how FaceID/TouchID unlock my vault (after a timeout period, of course).

• Ben
    Options

So if I understand correctly, the YubiKey wouldn't be used to unlock my vault each/every time I want to access it?

Correct.

I kinda thought that was the point of a YubiKey, but I must be conflating this with the purpose of how FaceID/TouchID unlock my vault (after a timeout period, of course).

That may very well be. Our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, Jeff Goldberg, elaborated on the purpose of 2FA for 1Password membership accounts here:

1Password WebAuthn doesn't require userVerification — 1Password Forum

Ben

• Edison517
    Edison517
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha, thank you for that link, Ben.

I appreciate the support 1Password has; it's one of the bigger reasons I switched to 1P from LastPass (especially after LogMeIn bought LP). Keep up the great work!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Thanks for the kind words. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.